Grading & Credit

Class Examinations

Examinations in each college credit course are considered part of the total requirements for the course. The college instructors generally administer a mid-semester and an end-of-semester examination. Additional exams may be given by instructors at their discretion. The last week of each semester is considered a part of the semester and, where desired, is reserved for final exams.

Credit by Examination

Students may receive credit for a course offered at Glen Oaks by requesting and then successfully completing a comprehensive examination in the subject matter area. Whether a course is eligible for credit by exam will be determined by the Vice President of Academics and the faculty who teaches the course. The following steps must be taken:

  1. Get a copy of the Credit by Exam form from the Registration Office
  2. Obtain signatures from the Full-Time Instructor/Professor, Vice President of Academics, and Registrar
  3. Take the comprehensive exam**
  4. Sign up for the class (within the add/drop period of a semester) pay tuition and fees for the course

*A grade will be issued on a transcript following the semester in which the exam was given.
**The fee for the exam is $50.00. If the student signs up for the class, the $50.00 fee will be applied towards the tuition charge.

Repeated Courses

A course taken at Glen Oaks Community College for which a grade has been recorded may be repeated. The highest grade earned in a repeated course is the grade that will count toward graduation and will be used in computing the cumulative grade point average required for graduation. On the official transcript, the term, course title and course number of the previous attempt(s) will remain as a permanent record. Title IV funding and other government programs may have regulations regarding repeat of courses.

Audit of Courses

A student who desires to attend classes regularly but does not desire to take final examinations or receive grades or credits, may register as an auditor. A student electing this option must register as an auditor at registration and pay all tuition and fees. A record will be kept of the courses audited. A grade of “V” will appear on the student’s grade reports and permanent records.

Credit for such courses cannot be established at a later date. Students once registered in a course for credit cannot change to audit nor can a student registered for audit change to credit after the end of the first 10% of the academic period.

Credit for courses previously audited may be earned by registering for credit and completing the course with a satisfactory grade.


At the end of each enrollment period, a grade is entered on the student’s permanent record for each class registration. The following alpha-numerical grading system is used.

4.0Outstanding work clearly at mastery level
3.5Much better than average
3.0Better than average, exceeds standards
2.5Slightly better than average
2.0Average, work meets acceptable standards
1.5Less than average
1.0Poor, barely meets minimum standards
0.0Failing, doesn’t meet course standards
GPGrade pending from instructor
IPIn progress, no credit
CRCredit granted
VVisitor (audit)
NCNo credit

Incomplete Work

A student may, with permission, receive an Incomplete (I) in a course if at least 75% of the course is completed. A grade of “I” may be completed by satisfactorily finishing the course objectives within one semester subsequent to the receipt of the Incomplete. If it is not removed within this period of time, the Incomplete will remain as a permanent entry of the transcript, and the student must register and repeat the course to receive a grade and credit for degree purposes. The student may initiate this process by completing the Student Request for Incomplete Grade form in Etrieve for consideration by the instructor. The instructor and the Vice President for Academics must each approve the extension of time for the student to complete the necessary coursework.

In-Progress Work

A student enrolled in Academic Foundation courses may receive an In-Progress grade of “IP” if the course requirements as detailed in the course syllabus have not been completed. The student has the next semester (i.e. either fall or winter) to work with an instructor to complete the course requirements. A student will receive no academic credit for an “IP” grade, and it will not affect the grade point average.

Appeal of Grades

Within a month of receipt of a grade, the student may appeal the grade to the course instructor and present facts that document the necessity for a grade change. These facts might include copies of quiz or test grades and grades on papers or final exams. The discussion should cover the calculation of the grade using the process described in the course syllabus. The burden of persuasion shall be on the student. The student and the instructor will review the facts, and the instructor will render an opinion based upon his or her professional judgment. If the grade appeal is not satisfactorily resolved, the student may send a letter of appeal to the Dean of the College. The Dean of the College will forward a copy of this letter to the instructor. The student must appeal the grade in writing within two months of receipt of the grade. Some reasons for a grade appeal might be:

  1. The grade was calculated in a manner inconsistent with the course syllabus or the changes to the syllabus.
  2. The grading standards for the course were arbitrary, capricious, or unequally applied.
The Appeal Committee comprised of the Dean of the College, the appropriate Faculty Coordinator and the instructor will review the facts. The instructor will be asked to demonstrate that the grade was determined in a manner consistent with the course syllabus. Only when there is due cause, such as item B, the Appeal Committee will have the authority to change the grade without the instructor’s support. The decision of the Appeal Committee is final.

Where to find your grades

Grades for each semester will be available on the College’s website approximately one week after the end of the semester. Students have 30 days to verify the accuracy of the grades to the Registrar. A printed grade report will be mailed on request. All grades are posted to the permanent transcript of the student.

GPA Information

Grade Point Averages

In computing the grade point average, the grade earned in each course is multiplied by the corresponding number of semester hours in the course. The resulting “honor points” obtained from all classes are totaled, and the result is divided by the total number of semester hours of work carried.

Work for which an “I” (Incomplete) is given will not be computed in arriving at a grade point average (GPA) (See Incomplete Work for additional information, p. 32). A “W” (Withdrawal), “V” (Visitor audit), “CR” (Credit granted), “IP” (In Progress; no credit) and NC (No Credit) are also not computed in student’s GPA.

Grade Point Re-evaluation

This policy is meant for students whose grade point average from one disastrous semester is significantly lower than the work the student has completed in other semesters and, because of this, the cumulative grade point average is not representative of the student’s capabilities. The student may have experienced personal, emotional and/or financial problems which resulted in a less-than-successful attempt at an education.

At Glen Oaks, grade point re-evaluation eliminates the necessity for a student to extend his or her education to make up for a low grade point average. Upon approval of the student’s petition for grade point re-evaluation, grades for a designated semester, including passing grades, will be eliminated from the grade point average. The previous grades will appear on the transcript, but won’t be counted toward graduation and won’t be figured into the student’s scholastic average.

The decision to petition for grade point re-evaluation implies that a student has given the matter serious thought and has discussed the implications of grade point re-evaluation with a counselor. The student must have attempted at least 30 semester hours of academic work at Glen Oaks Community College. The minimum number of hours considered for grade point re-evaluation is six. To file for grade point re-evaluation, see the Dean of the College.