MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST GUIDED PATHWAY –
1. for admission to the college.
2. Medical Administrative Specialist Program interest (by filling out application and returning to Carol Naccarato).
3. Compass (or other course placement determined by the college) basic math and English criteria:
a. ENG 063 – Reading for College or placement in BUS 111 – Contemporary Business/Technical Communications or higher on Compass test.
b. ENG 073 – Essentials for College Writing or placement in BUS 111 – Contemporary Business/Technical Communications or higher on Compass test.
4. If course placement criteria not met, student may enroll in appropriate remedial course/s to bring skill level up to criteria.
5. Complete course prerequisites: (minimum of a 2.5 GPA required – with no grade lower than 2.0)
a. ALH 218 – Medical Terminology
b. BIO 101 – Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology or BIO 210 & 211 – Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II
c. CIS 101 – Introduction to Computers and Software
d. CIS 233 – Word Processing I
e. BUS 101 – Student Success/College Skills
f. BUS 121 – Intermediate Keyboarding/Word I or equivalent high school experience
g. BUS 222 – Advanced Keyboarding-Medical
6. SUGGESTED COURSE ROTATION: (minimum of a 2.5 GPA required at all times – with no grade lower than 2.0) ALH 232 and ALH 233 must be passed with a minimum grade of 2.5 (80%) and special professional behavioral grading criteria must be met.
a. COM 110 – Interpersonal Communications
b. ALH 111 – Diagnostic Coding
d. ALH 232 – Administrative I – Medical Office Procedures
d. ALH 250 – Medical Law and Bioethics
a. BUS 222 – Advanced Keyboarding-Medical
b. ALH 210– Procedural Coding
c. ALH 205 – Pharmacology for Allied Health
d). ALH 233 – Administrative II – Advanced Medical Office Procedures
a. BUS 111 – Contemporary Business & Technical Communications
b. ALH 240 – Insurance Claims Processing
(AN OVERALL GPA OF 2.5 MUST BE MET TO ENTER PRACTICUM — NO GRADE CAN BE LOWER THAN 2.0 — ALL PROGRAM INSTRUCTORS MUST RECOMMEND THE STUDENT FOR PRACTICUM PLACEMENT)
a. Complete practicum preparations
b. Complete ALH 281 – Medical Administrative Specialist Practicum
c. Complete suggested preparations and review for CCS-P exam (online)
d. Complete CCS-P exam