Director of Learning Commons
August 29, 2022
The Learning Commons (LC) is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. The Assistant Director of Learning Commons is a valuable member of the LC and
is responsible for overseeing identified areas within the LC, with a focus on Testing and Tutoring. In addition, they assist patrons and promote LC services and resources to a diverse population of patrons. They support patrons in the use of LC resources, curriculum related software, research via the library catalog and databases, as well as proctor or tutor when necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate recruitment, hiring and evaluation of peer and professional tutors.
- Create and maintain an online training course for tutors on the LMS.
- Assist with the management of LC programs and staff.
- Oversee the College’s CRLA tutor training program, including coordination of CRLA training sessions and maintenance of records for students completing CRLA training and certification. Obtain and maintain CRLA membership and certification.
- Obtain and maintain appropriate testing certifications.
- Maintain tutoring session statistics.
- Market and promote LC services to the community.
- Facilitate interdepartmental tutoring dialogues through meetings and regular communication among departments, faculty and staff.
- Explore and implement national testing standards.
- Assist with management of budget and contracts.
- Initiate, coordinate, and maintain on-campus and off-campus testing.
- Provide information and technology literacy to staff, faculty, students and community members.
- Work with faculty and students to identify new ways to provide reference and instructional services to meet the learning needs of the College.
- Assist with assessment efforts pertinent to the LC.
- Provide identified program-level assessment testing services.
- Assist with the hire, training, scheduling and supervision of the LC Staff.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias. This includes being comfortable using and demonstrating accessibility technology and software as well as reading or scribing when necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Learning Commons.
As assigned by supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science
- Demonstrated computer knowledge and skill.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience managing/supervising others.
- Familiarity with academic placement testing.
- One year of experience in an academic setting.
- Experience in an academic library or learning commons.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com or attach to our online application. Position will remain posted through September 9, 2022, or until filled.
Glen Oaks Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Section 504 Employer. This organization participates in E-verify. For more information, please visit the DHS E-verify site.