Allied Health (3 credit hours)
|ALH 218 Medical Terminology||3 credits|
English (6 credit hours)
|ENG 121 English Composition I||3 credits|
|ENG 122 English Composition II*||3 credits|
Social Sciences (8 credit hours)
|PSY 101 Psychology||4 credits|
|PSY 210 Human Growth & Development||4 credits|
Biology (12 credit hours required)
|BIO 101- Human Biology*||3 credits|
|BIO 210- Anatomy & Physiology I*||4 credits|
|BIO 211-Anatomy & Physiology II*||4 credits|
Recommended Specialty Areas: (Choose 8 or 9 credits)
|Business (4-6 credit hours required)|
|ACCT 100 Fundamentals of Accounting||4 credits|
|ACCT 109 Payroll Accounting*||2 credits|
|BUS 104 Introduction to Business||3 credits|
|BUS 105 Business Mathematical Applications*||3 credits|
|BUS 260 Small Business Management*||3 credits|
|Clinical (6 credit hours required)|
|ALH 103 Nutrition*||3 credits|
|ALH 104 Nurse Aide||6 credits|
|ALH 205 Pharmacology for Health Occupations||3 credits|
|ALH 222 Disease Conditions||3 credits|
|ALH 230 Medical Office Lab||4 credits|
|ALH 235 MA Clinical I||3 credits|
|ALH 236 MA Clinical II||3 credits|
|ALH 250 Medical Law & Bioethics||3 credits|
|Technology (8 credits required)|
|CIS 100 Using the Internet||1 credits|
|CIS 101 Introduction to Computers & Software*||4 credits|
|CIS 214 Present Graphics/Publishing||3 credits|
|CIS 220 Computer Tech Essentials||3 credits|
|224 Computer Repair Essentials||3 credits|
|CIS 227 Concepts of Spreadsheets*||2 credits|
|CIS 233 Concepts of Word*||2 credits|
|*Course has a prerequisite|
To be granted an Associate of Applied Science in Allied Health Degree the student must complete one of the following Allied Health Certificates for a minimum of 30 credits:
Health Care Worker
Medical Administrative Specialist
Phlebotomy Technician (Must take additional credit hours to fulfill the 30 credit hour minimum for certificate requirements)
|Total Hours Required:||60 credits|
Effective: Fall 2018
Health care careers offer job stability, often above average financial reward, and the opportunity to join one of the most exciting and fastest growing fields in the United States. In the coming years, with an aging baby boomer population, there are expected to be more jobs than there are health care professionals to fill them.
Job duties range greatly depending upon the chosen area of specialization. Medical assistants complete administrative and clinical tasks in the offices of physicians, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities. Their duties vary with the location, specialty, and size of the practice. Medical records and health information technicians, commonly referred to as health information technicians, organize and manage health information data by ensuring that it maintains its quality, accuracy, accessibility, and security in both paper files and electronic systems.
Healthcare support occupations (such as home health aides, occupational therapy assistants, and medical transcriptionists) had a median annual wage of $27,040 in May 2015, lower than the median annual wage for all occupations in the economy. Those with an Associate of Applied Science in Allied Health and one or more occupational (medical-related) certificates can expect to earn between $30,000 to $40,000 and possibly more depending on additional training and responsibilities.
Is this for me?
Medical Administrative Specialist
Practical Nurse (LPN)
- for admission to the college.
- Placement Evaluation in basic Reading, Math and English criteria:
- Placement into BUS 111 Contemporary Business and Technical Communications or higher or meet Corresponding ACT/SAT scores.
- Placement into MATH 100 Introductory Algebra or higher or meet Corresponding ACT/SAT scores.
, student may enroll in appropriate remedial course/s to bring skill level up to criteria.
- interest in completing the Associate of Applied Science in Allied Health; (by filling out application and returning it to the Director of Allied Health/Medical Assisting).
- 4) To be granted an Associate of Applied Science in Allied Health Degree the student must complete one of the following Allied Health Certificates for a minimum of 30 credits:
- specialty area of Business or Clinical or Technology and complete 4 – 6 credits from that one area.
- with the Director of Allied Health to Interview and plan a Guided Pathway for successful completion of the program.
- The Associate of Applied Science in Allied Health Degree may be completed, as outlined below, in three semesters beginning in the fall. However, students may start the program in either the fall or the winter semester. A student may choose to take courses over a longer period of time.
- : (minimum of a 2.5 GPA required at all times – with no grade lower than a 2.0)
- ALH 218 Medical Terminology (Placement beyond or satisfactory completion of ENG 063 and ENG 073)
- BIO 101 Human Biology I (Prerequisite: ALH 218 Medical Terminology or take concurrently)
- ENG 121 English Composition I (Prerequisite: Appropriate placement based on assessment (ACT, SAT, or placement) or successful completion of ENG 073 or ENT 074. For special sections which include a lab requirement, a writing sample is required.)
- PSY 101 Psychology (Prerequisite: ENG 121 or concurrent enrollment in ENG 121)
- BIO 210 Human Anatomy & Physiology I (Prerequisite: Successful completion (grade 2.0 or better) of BIO 121 General Biology I or concurrent/completion of BIO 101 (Pre-nursing students should take BIO 101 rather than BIO 121)
- ENG 122 English Composition II (Prerequisite: Successful completion of ENG 121 with a 2.0 or better)
- PSY 210 Human Growth & Development (Prerequisite: PSY 101, ENG 121 or concurrent enrollment in ENG 121)
- Course from a declared Specialty Area (Business, Clinical, or Technical)
- BIO 211 Anatomy & Physiology II (Prerequisite: Successful completion (grade 2.0 or better) of BIO 210 Human Anatomy and Physiology I)
- 2nd course from your declared Specialty Area (Business, Clinical, or Technical)
- Evaluation for 60+ credits and if needed take additional courses from the specialty areas
- Apply for graduation certificates and/or degrees in the Student Services Department. May also print the form online.