Glen Oaks Foundation seeks nominations for Teaching Excellence Award
Current and former Glen Oaks Community College students, staff and community members are invited to nominate a full-time faculty member for the E. J. Shaheen Chair for Teaching Excellence award for 2016. This prestigious award is presented annually to an outstanding faculty member who exemplifies high professional standards, demonstrates excellence in teaching and whose position as a faculty member reflects upon the value of education to his or her students and the quality of education. The appointment includes a monetary award.
• Demonstrate a high professional standard both inside and outside the classroom
• Show expertise in course content; display creative thinking and innovative techniques in the learning environment
• Make the difficult learnable; be responsive to learning styles
• Express enthusiasm for learning; motivate students to learn and create an environment that is conducive to learning
• Have an excellent ability to convey knowledge to students; encourage lifelong learning and challenge students to think critically
• Care about how all are doing; appreciate diversity and make connections
The E. J. Shaheen “Chair for Teaching Excellence” was initiated in 1984 after a generous donation by Mr. Eli J. Shaheen, an original member of the Glen Oaks Board of Trustees, to recognize dedicated teaching faculty at the College. Shaheen was a professor, lawyer and business owner who placed a high value on education. A great deal of his later life was spent promoting educational institutions that had been a part of his life or education. The library at Glen Oaks Community College is named in his honor.
The E. J. Shaheen Selection Committee consists of two GOCC Foundation members, the college president, dean of teaching and learning, a retired full-time GOCC faculty member and Foundation executive director.
The recipient will be selected without any action on his or her part to enter the selection process. The individual is also not required to render substantial future services as a condition to receiving the award. The instructor receiving the “Chair for Teaching Excellence” Award will be announced in April.
The nominees for the award may be entered on a nomination form (available at the GOCC Information Desk
and at: glenoaks.edu/about/awards/pages/home.aspx) by students, staff, former students or community members. All nominations should be submitted to the President’s Office at Glen Oaks. Nominations will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Monday, Mar. 28, 2016.