GLEN OAKS TODAY – FEBRUARY, 2013
Congratulations Vikings Western Conference Champs
A big congratulations to the Viking Men’s Basketball Team on winning the Western Conference Championship. The Vikings will compete in the state championship game against the Eastern Conference winner on Sat., March 2. As the first seed in the district tournament, the Vikings qualify for the final four.
I am pleased to invite this year’s high school graduating class to apply for scholarships. Glen Oaks will be awarding $80,000 in Presidential and Dean’s scholarships this year.
Area high school seniors with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher may apply for a Dean’s Scholarship. The award may be used for all education-related expenses up to $2,000 each year, renewable if the student is attending full-time and maintains a 3.0 GPA at GOCC.
Students with a 3.5 GPA or higher may apply for a Presidential Scholarship. This award may be used for all education related expenses up to $4,000 each year, renewable if the student is attending fulltime and maintains a 3.5 GPA.
Application packets are available from the Glen Oaks website at www.glenoaks.edu or by contacting the GOCC Financial Aid office at (269) 294-4260.
– Dr. Gary Wheeler
President, Glen Oaks Community College
- The College is providing employee training for two companies who were recipients of Incumbent Worker Training Grants — Sturgis Molded Products ($34,683) and Vaupell Midwest Molding & Tooling Inc. ($49,500). Process employees at Sturgis Molded Products began training in early February in Systematic Molding and Master Molder I and II. At Vaupell, employees are participating in training which began on February 11. The training covers Scientific Molding and two stages of Advanced Scientific Molding.
- In an effort to establish stronger ties and partnerships with institutions of higher education in the region, members of the Glen Oaks Community College administration recently met with Albion College President Donna Randall and Provost Susan Conner. The Albion officials announced the establishment of a new scholarship, the Distinguished Albion College – Glen Oaks Community College Transfer Scholarship.
- The College will serve as a partner in the Sturgis 2022 revitalization initiative. Sturgis 2022 is a vision for the next decade focused on generating positive improvements in the Sturgis community. It is a collaborative effort of citizens and community leaders committed to making Sturgis a better place to live and work.
- Twenty-one faculty and staff members were honored by Glen Oaks Community College for a grand total of 325 years service to the school. The honorees were recognized in early February as part of an All-College meeting.
- Spring Arbor University will be offering its Bachelor of Science in Organizational Management degree program at GOCC. The classes meet one night a week and the next cohort group begins in early March.
Phi Theta Kappa hosts “Commit to Completion” signing event
In early February, over 200 students, administrators, faculty and staff participated in a “Commit to Completion” signing event, hosted by Phi Theta Kappa. The event was part of a national initiative to promote degree completion. Statistics show that those who obtain a degree or certificate are more apt to land a job in their field of study.
To see the pdf of this publication, Click Here.