GLEN OAKS TODAY – JANUARY, 2013
I am pleased to introduce to you Glen Oaks Community College Today, a new monthly online publication which will highlight news, activities and events of the college.
We are committed to providing quality educational programs to meet the needs of the students and community we serve, and we would like to share our many successes with you.
I will also include updates on current issues affecting Michigan Community Colleges.
We welcome your feedback and if you know of others who would like to be included on our email list, please encourage them to send their email addresses to Valorie Juergens via our Contact Form to request to be added.
– Dr. Gary Wheeler
President, Glen Oaks Community College
Michigan Community College Update
The governor signed legislation permitting community colleges in Michigan to grant bachelor’s degrees in selected fields. The fields include energy production, concrete technology, maritime technology and culinary arts.
Vikings rank 4th nationally
As of Jan. 15, the Viking Men’s Basketball Team moved up in the NJCAA National Poll into the top 10, from 6th to 4th place.
Will Powell is one of the state’s top scorers averaging more than 20 points per game.
- Beginning with the Fall 2013 semester, GOCC will offer an Associate of Arts in Visual Arts degree where students will choose one of three different areas of emphasis: Fine Art, Graphic Design or Commercial Photography.
- GOCC was one of four community colleges to sign reverse transfer agreements in December to allow community college students, transferring to WMU, the opportunity to combine credits earned at both WMU and their community college to receive their associate degrees.
- Evaluators from the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association, recently gave a recommendation of approval for the Distance Learning Program at GOCC, indicating that, “the dedication of the faculty and staff, serving on this effort to ensure course and instructor quality, was exemplary and a model for others to follow.” The recommendation now goes to the commission for final approval.
- Tracy Labadie has joined GOCC as our new controller. Labadie has earned a Master’s of Applied Science in Accountancy, and comes to GOCC with over 15 years of accounting experience.
The following is the new GOCC Board of Trustees for 2013:
- Dave Allen, Chair
- Nancy Percival, Vice Chair
- James Moshier, Secretary
- Bruce Gosling, Treasurer
- John Bippus
- Joni Smith
- Mary Lou Falkenstein
The following board members will serve on the Finance and Audit Committee:
- Bruce Gosling
- James Moshier
- Joni Smith
To see the pdf of this publication, Click Here.