GLEN OAKS TODAY – SEPTEMBER, 2013
GOCC initiates One-Stop Shop New Student Orientation
In order to more efficiently and effectively assist new students, Glen Oaks Community College has initiated a new “One-Stop Shop” approach to help them as they begin their Glen Oaks experience.
The New Student Orientation program has been redesigned to help students familiarize themselves with the GOCC campus, college policies and enrollment procedures. Students attending the on-campus orientation will have an opportunity to meet with an academic advisor, register for classes, speak with financial aid staff, obtain a student ID card and arrange for payment of classes.
On another note, please join me in congratulating two of our employees on recent achievements.
Kathy Hicks, director of academic services, was recently recognized by Phi Theta Kappa for her work with as advisor of the GOCC student chapter over the past five years.
On Sat., October 5, Steve Proefrock, athletic director and head men’s basketball coach, will be honored at the annual Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan Hall of Fame Banquet. Proefrock has been selected as the BCAM 2013 Men’s Junior College Coach of the Year!
– Dr. Gary Wheeler, President
Glen Oaks Community College
GOCC presidential search moves forward search committee announced
The Association of Community College Trustees provided an update on the GOCC presidential search process at the September GOCC Board of Trustee’s meeting. After conducting and gathering information from a survey and two public forums, a presidential profile has been established that is being used to move forward with the national presidential search.
Applications are being sought through October. More details, including a copy of the GOCC presidential profile, has been uploaded to the presidential search page on the GOCC website. You can access the page at: www.glenoaks.edu/about/Pages/Presidential-Search.aspx (site page no longer active).
Members of the Search Committee are:
Chuck Frisbie, Constantine Public Schools Superintendent
Pastor Tony Bennett, New Jerusalem Church (Three Rivers)
Cathy Knapp, Southwest Michigan First
GOCC Student – To be designated
Jerry Barkley, GOCC Faculty
Chad Worthington, GOCC Faculty
Dawn Wood, GOCC Support Staff
Clarice Beck, GOCC Support Staff
Pam Cary, GOCC Administrator
Pat Morgenstern, GOCC Administrator
Mary Lou Falkenstein, GOCC Board Trustee
John Bippus, GOCC Board Trustee
Joni Smith, GOCC Board Trustee
- Representatives from the Department of Education met with educators in the county at GOCC in late August to discuss changes occurring in the High School Dual Enrollment Program across the state.
- GOCC was one of the sponsors of the Three Rivers Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner in mid-September.
- Tues. October 8 – St. Joseph County College Night 2013 will be held from 6:30 to 8 p.m., in the GOCC Gymnasium with a special financial aid session beginning at 6 p.m. in the Nora Hagen Theatre. Over 55 college representatives will be on hand to answer questions about programs, housing, transfer courses. etc. The public is invited to this free event.
- Tues., November 5 – Return 2 Learn College Information Session for Adult Learners, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at GOCC’s Dresser Business Development Center.
- GOCC was one of the sponsors of the Chasing the Cure event in support of research for ovarian cancer. The event raised approximatly $8500 this year, bringing the total to $35,000 since the program’s inception. A special thanks to GOCC’s Leanne Barnell, assistant financial aid director & academic advisor, for her co-coordinator role in this event.
To see the pdf of this publication, Click Here.