Notice of Right to Access and Privacy of Records
Parents and guardians of each student under 18 years of age and each student who is 18 years of age or older have certain rights respecting the records kept on the student by Glen Oaks Community College. Parents of dependent students over age 18 may also exercise these rights.
These rights include:
- The right to examine the student’s records.
- The right to have the administration hear evidence that any part of the record is inaccurate, misleading or violates a student’s privacy or other rights, to have the record changed if the administration agrees with the applicant’s evidence and to insert an explanation in the record if the administration agrees.
- The right to have records which personally refer to a student kept confidential except either by consent of the parent or students, or when being used by school personnel for school business. Certain official agencies may also request records.
- The following information will be made available for publication in directories, sport programs, and so forth:
- Name of student
- Student’s local address
- Student’s local phone, e-mail address
- Student’s permanent address
- Date of birth, place of birth
- Whether or not a student is currently enrolled
- Class (freshman or sophomore)
- Academic major
- Information pertaining to honors achievements
- Degree(s) and/or certificate(s) earned from Glen Oaks and dates
- Participation in officially recognized college activities and sports
- Weight and height of athletic team members
- The right to obtain a copy of the Board of Trustees policy on privacy of student records from the Dean of the College.
- The right to protest to:
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office
Department of Health, Education and Welfare
300 Independence Avenue, SW
if the school district is not complying with the Family Rights and Privacy Act or the Department of HEW rules.
If a parent or student does not wish this information to be available for publication, notice must be given to the Registrar.
Revised 1/12/77, 1/79, 9/14/05, reviewed 9/17/14 (Position titles updated July 2002.)