Registration, Schedule Changes,
and Student Classification

Policy 3.17 and 3.18

A snowy, winter view of the rear entrance of Glen Oaks Community College.

Glen Oaks operates on a semester basis, with two 15-week semesters (fall and winter) and a spring/summer session. Courses can be offered at various times. Students register for classes according to instructions published each semester in the class schedule and on the College website. The schedule indicates general information on dates and times. Students may register on campus by completing the necessary registration forms or online.

Registration for Academic Courses

To register means to complete the registration process and pay tuition and fees. This should be done before attending class unless special permission has been granted to the student. Special permission to attend a class without registering may be granted only by an appropriate authority and the Registrar is to be notified in advance in writing by the authorizing person.

Students are not officially admitted to a class unless they are properly registered.

Classes Beginning and/or Ending at Different Times of Semester

Classes that begin and/or end at different times throughout the semester will have different refund and withdrawal dates. These dates are available in the Registration and Records Office. Some students receiving federal financial aid will have refund adjustments determined by the government. This information is available in the Financial Aid Office.

Registration for Lifelong Learning, Business
Customized Training Courses, and Short Seminars

Students may register using a variety of methods designed for ease of registration and student convenience. Please contact the Business Services Office for further information.

July 1992, revised 9/14/05, reviewed 8/13/14.

Schedule Change Policy

No courses can be added by a student after 10% of the academic period has elapsed unless there are documented extenuating circumstances and written approval by the Dean of Academics & Extended Learning is obtained. Students are also not permitted to add a course if they have missed the equivalent of one week of instruction.

A change in registration for class(es) is not official until an Add/Drop form has been completed by the student and processed by the Registrar’s Office. The date this form is approved by the Registrar’s Office is the date used to determine eligibility for a refund in the case of a dropped class. It is strongly recommended that advice be sought from a counselor and/or instructor before a schedule change is made.

Course Load

A student who carries 12 or more credits is classified as a full-time student. However, to complete an associate degree in two years, a student must carry what is known as a “full load.” A “full load” is usually 15-16 credit hours/semester.

Students desiring to take more than 18 semester hours (overload) during the fall or winter semesters must receive approval from a counselor or academic advisor. Those seeking permission to overload during a given semester should have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.

Adopted by Board of Trustees 1/13/93, revised 9/14/05, 8/13/14.

Student Classification

Full-Time Student – A student who registers for 12 semester hours of credit or more in a given semester.

Part-Time Student – A student who registers for fewer than 12 semester hours of credit in a given semester. Note: This may vary for veterans.

Freshman – Any student who has completed fewer than 28 semester hours of credit.

Sophomore – Any student who has completed 28 or more semester hours of credit.

Withdrawal Policy

Policy 3.19
A student finding it necessary to withdraw from the college must file an official withdrawal form with the Registrar’s Office. Failure to obtain office release can result in failing grades in all subjects from which the student fails to withdraw, and deprivation of tuition refund privileges in effect at the time of withdrawal.

All students are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to meet with their instructor/professor prior to withdrawing from any class.

Upon official voluntary withdrawal from the college, grades are assigned according to the effective date of withdrawal as follows:

  1. If withdrawal is made during the first 10% of the academic period, no grade is recorded.
  2. Following the first 10% of the academic period and not to exceed (40%) 90% of the total academic period, a student will receive an automatic “W”.
  3. During the final 10% of an academic period, a “W” will not be issued.

Note: A “W” will not be calculated as part of the student’s grade point average (GPA).

Adopted by Board of Trustees 1/13/93, revised 9/14/05, reviewed 9/17/14, revised 4/13/2017.

Student Withdrawal Survey

Any student withdrawing from all of their classes will be required to complete the Student Withdrawal Survey in the Student Services Office. The survey requires that the student meet with and obtain signatures from a Glen Oaks advisor and staff member from the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawal.

Student Death During Semester

Policy 3.20

  1. Delete address of deceased student from Student Information Screen and type “DECEASED” in the city field of the permanent address.
  2. Fill out Withdrawal Forms for all classes deceased student is currently enrolled. Registrar will sign the Withdrawal Form and indicate deceased. The transcript will be posted with the “W” grade.
  3. Current instructors of the deceased student will be notified with the “instructor copy” of Withdrawal Form and/or via e-mail.
  4. Note on deceased Student File the “Deceased” status. File is put on “inactive” status.

July 1992, revised 9/14/05, reviewed 8/13/14.

Open Entry/Open Exit (OE/OE)

Registration & Completion

A student in a welding mask and protective equipment welding rectangular tubing together.

OE/OE classes provide an alternative to traditional classroom learning. They are a convenient and flexible way to gain college credits. Students complete modules depending on their needs and educational goals. Students work in the labs at their own pace and there are no regularly scheduled classes.

Students who wish to use financial aid to pay for their Open Entry course are asked to refer to the section called “Special Note Regarding Financial Aid Students”.

Students must engage in at least one instructional activity within the first two weeks of enrolling in the course to maintain academic progress. After that, students should work to complete the coursework as quickly as they are able. Students are asked to maintain communications with their instructors at least every two weeks.

Students who wish to enroll in an OE/OE program must take the following steps:

  1. Student completes an Application for Admissions
  2. Students wishing to use financial aid will need to complete the FAFSA at and complete the financial aid process, which includes returning all necessary paperwork.
  3. Student completes Accuplacer testing.
  4. Student must complete the New Student Orientation. He or she may sign up for a group orientation if one is available or he/she may contact admissions to set up an appointment for an online orientation that must be completed in the student services office.
  5. Student meets with an advisor – the advisor will discuss things with the student and refer them to the instructor for advising if he or she come to the college with previously taken courses or experience.
  6. The instructor will fill out a form stating the student is ready to register. Student will bring this form to Registration.
  7. Student registers for modules/classes. The student will not be allowed to register unless he/she turn in a signed form from the instructor. Registration must be completed in person. Online registration will not be allowed for the open entry/open exit program.
  8. Student obtains student ID from student services.
  9. Student will have 48 hours from the time of registration to enroll in a payment plan or to pay for his or her tuition and fees in full as college policy dictates. A student who registers late in the semester will be advised to enroll in the next semester in order to take advantage of the payment plan. Otherwise, the student will be required to pay in full. (This is for students who do not have a third party paying his or her tuition and fees)
  10. Student is directed to contact his or her instructor(s) to get his/her module and class information and his/her online course material, if needed.
  11. If a student chooses to drop the class, he or she must do so in person in the Registration Office. Online de-registration will not be allowed for the OE/OE program (refer to the section labeled “Dropping an OE/OE Course”).
  12. A student will be responsible for the tuition and fees charges for any class he or she fail to demonstrate academic progress in and they do not drop the class prior to the designated drop period.



OE/OE courses are graded on a credit/no credit basis. If an OE/OE course is not completed by the end of the semester in which the student is enrolled, students will receive an In-Process (IP) at the end of the semester. Sufficient academic progress toward completion will determine if a student is eligible for an IP or will receive a failing grade. Students, therefore, must satisfy requirements as outlined in the module syllabus for continued progress before an IP will be awarded. If an IP is awarded, students will be given until the end of the following semester to complete the coursework. If a student does not complete the coursework by the end of the following semester, they will receive a “NC” for no credit earned.

Students will not be allowed to register for any further courses until all IP courses have been completed.

Dropping an OE/OE Course

Students who register for an OE/OE course by the last day to add courses for the semester, may drop the course according to the published semester drop date. OE/OE courses registered for after the full semester’s last day to add may be dropped within five business days of the posted registration. Students may only drop the course in person in the Registration Office.


Students who wish to use financial aid to pay for an OE/OE course must register during the regular semester registration period at the beginning of the semester in order for these classes to be included in their financial aid package. Students must begin work on their course before the financial aid for the class will be released. Students must continue regularly participating in the class to maintain academic standards of progress for the course. If students do not continue working on the course (more than two weeks with no class activity) through at least the 60% point of the semester in which they enrolled, the financial aid award will be recalculated and possibly reduced, which could result in the student owing the College for previously awarded financial aid. Students with a financial aid hold on their account may not be permitted to enroll in future terms.

Students wishing to use financial aid (including grants, scholarships, and loans) to pay for an OE/OE course are encouraged to meet with a Financial Aid Advisor prior to registering for OE/OE courses.