Following his graduation from Michigan State University in 1943, he received his orders to serve in the U.S. Army as captain in the Army Corps of Engineers. Following his service in WWII, Mr. Monroe returned to Three Rivers and started working at The Johnson Corporation where he worked until his retirement in 1990. He served over the years in many positions, from 1957 to 1982 he was President and from 1983 to 1990 CEO and Chairman of the Board. In 1993, the Johnson R&D Center was renamed the W.R. Monroe Research & Development Center in honor of the late W.R. “Bill” Monroe whose wisdom and vision guided what is now Kadant Johnson Inc. through some of its most challenging times.
Per the request of Mr. Monroe the use of this donation will be determined by the Foundation Board of Directors. “Certainly this philanthropic donation will provide a benefit that will positively impact the students and communities we serve. There are considerable needs and the establishment of this fund can be used for improving technology, providing faculty/staff grants, enhancing college facilities, or helping students struggling with the many costs associated with attending college”, said Janene Breneman, Executive Direct of the Glen Oaks Community College Foundation.
Glen Oaks Community College is experiencing an increase in student demand. This past year the college experienced a 20% increase in student enrollment. Glen Oaks was recently ranked 45th among the Top 50 Fastest Growing Community Colleges in the under 2,500 student category, according to 2009 figures from the U.S. Department of Education and reported in Community College Week magazine.