This program offers the knowledge and skills to sit for both the Certified Coding Specialist-Physician Office – CCS-P (AHIMA) and/or the Certified Coding Specialist- CCS (AHIMA) American Health Information Management Association and meets the education eligibility requirements as outlined by that association.
|ALH 111 Diagnostic Coding*||3 credits|
|ALH 205 Pharmacology*||3 credits|
|ALH 210 Procedural Coding*||3 credits|
|ALH 218 Medical Terminology*||3 credits|
|ALH 222 Disease Conditions*||3 credits|
|ALH 240 Insurance Claims Processing*||3 credits|
|ALH 250 Medical Law & Bioethics*||3 credits|
|ALH 280 Coding Specialist Practicum*||3 credits|
|BIO 101 Human Biology*||4 credits|
|BIO 210 Human Anatomy & Physiology I*||4 credits|
|BIO 211 Human Anatomy & Physiology II*||4 credits|
|BUS 111 Business/Technical Communications*||4 credits|
|*Course has a prerequisite|
- The student must achieve a “C” or 2.0 GPA in all curriculum courses.
- Qualifications for the practicum require that students have all course work completed and an overall 2.5 GPA or above.
- All instructors must recommend the student for practicum.
- The process of determining who will enter the program will be selective.
Current as: 7/16/14
Coding specialists compile, process and maintain medical records of hospital and clinic patients. They are familiar with coding systems and stay up-to-date on health care documentation.
Day-to-day responsibilities include reviewing patient records for accuracy and completeness, and tracking patient outcomes for quality, organization and maintenance of data for clinical databases and registries. Coding specialists are familiar with classification software and assign clinical codes for reimbursement and data analysis.
Most health information technicians work in hospitals or physicians’ offices. The median annual wage for health information technicians was $37,110 in May 2015. The median annual wages for medical records and health information technicians in the top industries in which they worked were as follows:
|Professional, scientific, and technical services||$40,790|
|Hospitals; state, local, and private||$39,570|
|Administrative and support services||$36,630|
|Nursing care facilities (skilled nursing facilities)||$35,270|
|Offices of physicians||$32,080|
Is this for me?
Patient health information is protected by law, and confidentiality is required of medical records and data security.
- for admission to the college.
- Medical Coding Specialist—Physician Based (CCS-P) Program interest (by filling out application and returning to Carol Naccarato).
- Meet Compass (or other course placement determined by the college) basic math and English criteria:
- ENG 063 – Reading for College or placement in BUS 111 – Contemporary Business/Technical Communications or higher on Compass test.
- ENG 073 – Essentials for College Writing or placement in BUS 111 – Contemporary Business/Tech Communications or higher on Compass test.
- Placement in MATH 055 – Basic Applied Math or higher on Compass test OR meet corresponding ACT/SAT scores.
- If course placement criteria not met, student may enroll in appropriate remedial course/s to bring skill level up to criteria.
- Complete course prerequisites: (minimum of a 2.5 GPA required – with no grade lower than 2.0)
- ALH 218 – Medical Terminology
- BIO 101 – Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology or BIO 210 & 211 – Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II
- SUGGESTED COURSE ROTATION: (minimum of a 2.5 GPA required at all times – with no grade lower than 2.0)
- ALH 250 – Medical Law & Bioethics
- ALH 111 – Diagnostic Coding
- BUS 111 – Contemporary Business/Technical Communications
- ALH 210 – Procedural Coding
- ALH 205 – Pharmacology for Allied Health
- ALH 240 – Insurance Claims Processing
- ALH 222 – Disease Conditions
(AN OVERALL GPA OF 2.5 MUST BE MET TO ENTER PRACTICUM – NO GRADE CAN BE LOWER THAN 2.0 – ALL PROGRAM INSTRUCTORS MUST RECOMMEND THE STUDENT FOR PRACTICUM PLACEMENT)
- Complete practicum preparations
- Complete ALH 280 – Coding Specialist—Physician Based Practicum
- Complete suggested preparations and review for CCS-P or CCS exam (online)
- Complete CC