Why Should I Be a TRIO Student?
What are the perks of being an SSS participant? TRIO Student Support Services helps students adjust to and succeed in college by providing comprehensive assistance through the following FREE services and programs:
- Individualized Academic Advising & Planning: Advising is provided to help students focus and direct academic efforts toward their chosen area of interest as well as potential career goals. This advising includes:
- Development of an Individual Education Plan to cultivate the most effective path toward graduation and transfer
- Assistance with planning each semester’s class schedule based on student's degree requirements and interests
- Online registration instruction
- Strategies for maintaining and improving grade point average (GPA)
- Priority Registration: Priority registration allows SSS participants to register for classes ahead of the general GOCC population in an attempt to allow you to develop the best possible schedule for success.
- Educational Workshops: TRIO SSS holds on-campus workshops on a variety of topics including time management, test and note-taking skills, transfer planning, job search skills, stress management, budgeting and financial literacy. Some workshops are also available online.
- Activities and Events: Participants will have the opportunity to take advantage of a variety of social activities, cultural events, and student development programs. Examples include:
- College Visits: Visit area four-year colleges and universities with a group of your SSS peers and staff to learn about the transfer process, academic programs, admissions requirements, transfer scholarships and more.
- Social Activities: volunteering opportunities, open houses, TRIO events, etc.
- Cultural Events: plays/musicals, concerts, museum visits, etc.
- Student Leadership: attend state and regional TRIO student leadership conferences with fellow SSS students from across the state and the country!
- Student Development: seminars/workshops on time management, stress reduction, test-taking, transfer planning, job search skills, budgeting and financial literacy
- Scholarships: Student Support Services will award several scholarships to active participants each year. Visit the Scholarship webpage for more details.
- Transfer Advising:
Through discussion with a knowledgeable SSS staff person, learn about
research tools that can be used to identify four-year colleges and
universities offering the programs you’re interested in, determine which
GOCC courses will transfer, and develop a plan to transfer smoothly.
- Career Advising:
Staff will explore with each student trends in employment, areas of
interest, students’ skills, and prospective career paths and help
develop a plan to reach each student’s career goals. Participants will have access to in-depth career assessments, including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory.
- Personal Counseling: SSS Students will have access to a Licensed Professional Counselor for emotional support and guidance. Students will have a safe, accepting place to discuss options, opportunities, and possibilities.
- Resource Referral: SSS staff are knowledgeable about area social services (for needs like food assistance, shelter, child care, mental healthcare, etc. and can provide appropriate referrals and contact information. Below are a few services available right here at Glen Oaks:
- Individualized Tutoring: SSS participants are eligible for free one-on-one or small group tutoring in a variety of academic disciplines through the Glen Oaks Tutoring and Testing Center. The tutoring staff consists of trained GOCC students who have successfully completed the courses for which they are tutoring.
- Childcare/Transportation Stipends: Up to $15,000 in childcare/transportation stipends via the Occupational Student Success Program are available to eligible participants
pursuing degrees in Applied Science in Business, Applied Science in
Technology, Applied Science in Allied Health, and Applied Science in
Nursing. The funding is an allocation from annual funds issued to Glen
Oaks through the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act.
- Assistance for students with disabilities: Through partnership with Disability Support Services, SSS staff will work with students to determine the need for academic accommodations due to a documented disability.
Contact the TRIO Student Support Services Program
TRIO Student Support Services is federally funded at 83% by the U.S. Dept. of Education in the amount of $212,888 and 17% funded by Glen Oaks Community College for the 2014-2015 year.