The Dennis and Sharon Baker Nursing Scholarship was established by Sharon Baker in memory of Dennis Baker.
The purpose of this Fund is to provide scholarship support to qualified individuals in the nursing programs at Glen Oaks Community College. This scholarship is to be awarded to talented students committed to Nursing who plan to complete a two-year
degree, or a certificate program at Glen Oaks Community College, or other nursing degree or certificate program for nurses established in the future.
The effect of this scholarship, in addition to functioning as a strong incentive for and a prestigious acknowledgement of excellence in medical studies, would be to raise the rate of retention for talented nursing students by providing a strong and appealing reason for remaining at Glen Oaks Community College.
The Scholarship will serve to honor and substantially reward each year’s recipients and to significantly enhance and embellish the Glen Oaks Community College Nursing programs as a recruitment and retention tool.
- Must be accepted into a Nursing Program as described above
- Maintain full or part-time time student status
- Nursing major
- Maintain overall 2.75 g.p.a.
- First year students will be eligible directly out of high school, if dual enrolled
- Must meet all program prerequisites
- To a Sturgis area resident
- To a student with greater financial need and/or higher academic performance
- Accepted and active participant in a Nursing Program
- Committed to a career in nursing
- Participation in activities and projects beyond standard class activities may include voluntary commitments to worthy causes
- Intention to work in St. Joseph County upon completion of training
- Final selection of scholarship recipients will be made by the Director of Financial Aid/Scholarship and Assistant Dean of the Nursing Programs & Allied Health in consultation with the Dean of the College
- Students may be identified out of high school by recommendation of their School Counselor, teachers, or Hospital/Medical personnel
- Final selection by the end of April
- This is a Scholarship to be granted to the student for education related expenses.
- Number and size determined by availability of funds and number of qualified applicants
- Must reapply.
The Office of Financial Aid will disburse the scholarship according to the standard school policy.
If, at any time, the College Foundation policies and procedures in effect for the administration of award and scholarship funds are changed, these provisions will be automatically modified to conform.
The fund is now endowed (as of January 31, 2007) and monies will be held in a restricted endowed account. Distribution will begin in the 2007/08 school years with an additional $1,000 provided in a separate contribution, receipted on February 2, 2007, which will not
be part of the endowed restricted fund.
Whenever it appears that changing conditions make this plan no longer applicable, practical, or suited to the general purposes stated above, the College Foundation would confer with the donor or their representative to secure a modification of the plan. If the
Foundation is unable to locate the donor or their representative after reasonable efforts, then the Foundation is authorized to utilize the fund for any other suitable educational purpose, so that the fund will provide the maximum service to the community through the
advancement of higher education.