The DONIS ARMSTRONG “A STEP UP TO THE SCIENCES” SCHOLARSHIP was created by Donis M. Armstrong during the Summer of 2005. Mrs. Armstrong indicated her desire that this scholarship be ‘need based’ recognizing Glen Oaks Community College students pursuing an Associate of Science degree. The Donis Armstrong “A Step Up to the Sciences” Scholarship is to be awarded to talented students in need of financial assistance committed to the sciences that plan to finish a two year degree at Glen Oaks and to go on and complete a four year degree elsewhere.
Donis Armstrong has been a life-long resident of Three Rivers Michigan. She has focused her support for community projects that provide financial assistance to projects that enables people to grow and develop. Her efforts have been targeted toward those who may have barriers to change and evolve. She has favored youth, the arts, and community needs.
In her youth Donis was very active in all sports, to include boxing. Donis has always considered the arts, to include music and dancing, her favorite activities in life. Creative design and decorating have also been methods for Donis to express herself. Donis is said to have a flare for home decorating, needle point wall decorations, and other creative pursuits.
Donis Armstrong is a long-time member of the Presbyterian Church of Three Rivers.
- Student pursuing a science degree or career in the sciences
- Science major
- Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours or more)
- One female student and one male student in the GOCC Service Area be selected annually, provided funds are available.
- Financial need will be given primary consideration in this award selection.
- Academic ability and career goals will be given secondary consideration in selecting the recipients.
- The recipients of the Donis Armstrong “A Step Up to the Sciences” Scholarship will be expected to maintain a semester GPA of at least 2.5 while receiving the scholarship.
- Students will be selected by the scholarship committee based upon the above criteria..
- The scholarship may be applied to all education related expenses.
- There shall be no limit on the number or amount of said scholarships provided the principal is not utilized.
- Must reapply
The Office of Financial Aid will disburse the scholarship according to the standard school policy.
If, at any time, the College Foundation policies and procedures in effect for the administration of award and scholarship funds are changed, these provisions are automatically modified to conform.
Whenever it appears that changing conditions make this plan no longer applicable, practical, or suited to the general purposes stated above, the College Foundation would confer with the donor or their representative to secure a modification of the plan. If the Foundation is unable to locate the donor or their representative after reasonable efforts, then the Foundation is authorized to utilize the fund for any other suitable educational purpose, so that the fund will provide the maximum service to the community through the advancement of higher education.