Director of Learning Commons & Library
GOSSE Level III, Part-Time (25 hours per week)
November 22, 2019
This position reports to the Director of Learning Commons & Library, but may also take direction from the Assistant Director of Learning Commons in the Director’s absence. Employees in this position perform many support activities to meet the informational and educational needs of Learning Commons patrons. They assist patrons in the use of Learning Commons resources, curriculum related software, research via the library catalog, periodical databases, or the internet, as well as proctor a variety of tests. They assist patrons and promote Learning Commons services and resources to students, faculty, and community members. Examples of duties performed by this position include:
- Open the Learning Commons and prepare for the day’s responsibilities, or close the Learning Commons and provide appropriate security such as taking measures to secure learning commons property, ensuring vacancy of the premises before closing, etc.
- Assist students, faculty, and patrons in the use of computer programs such as Word, Excel, and Access, as well as with password resets.
- Proctor a variety of tests (on and off campus) including but not limited to Accuplacer, GOCC tests, Distance Learning tests, and tests sent in from other colleges.
- Schedule and track the use of visual aid equipment and read tests to students with documented reading disabilities.
- Maintain a working knowledge of electronic materials, databases, the Internet, and curriculum related software to assist students, faculty and patrons.
- Assist in providing basic reference services on campus and on-line, referring to the Director of Learning Commons and Library as necessary.
- Assist in maintaining the circulation functions of the Learning Commons and in the sending and receiving of InterLibrary Loan requests.
- Assist with the acquisition, cataloguing, processing and withdrawal of materials, including maintaining library databases.
- Maintain statistics on Learning Commons usage.
- Conduct appropriate communications on behalf of the Learning Commons and assist with accurate maintenance of Leaning Commons schedule.
- Create and update Learning Commons procedure manuals at the direction of the Director of Learning Commons and Library.
- Assist in the training and supervision of the work studies.
- Other duties within the scope of this position as assigned by their supervisor.
- Associate Degree in related field.
- Acquire and maintain appropriate testing certifications.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, faculty, students, work studies and other staff.
- Accuracy, precision, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and skill in operating standard office machines, audio-visual equipment, computers and curriculum related software.
- Demonstrated keyboarding ability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of library research.
- One (1) year relevant work experience.
- Credentials in curriculum and library related software.
- Experience with web page maintenance.
To apply, submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Glen Oaks Community College, Attn: Human Resources, 62249 Shimmel Road, Centreville, MI 49032; or via e-mail at email@example.com. Applications may also be faxed to (269)467-4114. Position will remain open until December 6, 2019 or until filled.