Director of Learning Commons and Library
Part-Time, 20 hours/week , GOSSE Bargaining Unit
February 14, 2019
Employees in this position are the first contact for library patrons. They must maintain excellent public relations for the library. They fulfill all responsibilities of the circulation desk. They meet the informational and educational needs of the patrons by assisting those students using various curriculum related software and those researching via the library catalog, databases, and/or the internet. They monitor the functioning of the library network and ensure that patrons remain in compliance with college policies. They fill in for other library staff. Examples performed by this position include:
- Close the library and provide appropriate security.
- Assist students, faculty, patrons and vendors in the use and maintenance of audiovisual equipment, copiers, printers, computers, and other electronic devices.
- Maintain the circulation function of the library, including checking materials in and out, re-shelving materials in designated areas, sending out overdue notices, maintaining statistics and reports, holding and releasing transcripts, and notifying students of transcripts being held.
- Assist the librarian in providing web pages, information literacy data, marketing, archives, and in assessing library services.
- Provide secretarial support for the librarian, including correspondence and maintaining files and documentation.
- Assist the librarian in the training and supervision of the work-studies.
- Upon occasion, cover other library staff’s duties, possibly opening the library and occasionally, cover basic duties for the staff in the Tutoring and Testing Center.
- Provide basic research assistance on-line and in print, referring to librarian when necessary.
- Assist in the acquisition, processing, or withdrawal of materials, including maintaining library databases.
- Assist in the sending and receiving of InterLibrary Loan requests.
- Maintain a working knowledge of electronic devices, network databases, the Internet, and curriculum related software to assist students, faculty, and patrons.
- Assist the librarian and the network administrator in monitoring the library network and library web pages, and ensuring that patron use remains within college policies.
- Other duties within the scope of this position as assigned by their supervisor.
- Associate Degree in related field.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, faculty, students, work studies, and other staff.
- Accuracy, precision, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and skill in operating standard office machines, audio-visual equipment, computers, and curriculum and library related software. Demonstrated keyboarding ability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of library research.
- One (1) year work experience in related field.
- Experience with library procedures and library automation software.
Monday-Thursday 3pm-8pm; and some Saturdays 9am-12noon
To apply, submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Glen Oaks Community College, Attn: Human Resources, 62249 Shimmel Road, Centreville, MI 49032; or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be faxed to (269)467-4114. Position will remain open until filled.