Glen Oaks Community College has been included on the 2014 list of Military Friendly Schools®. This honor ranks Glen Oaks as one of the top 20% of schools nationwide that delivers the best experience for America's military service members, veterans, and spouses. Additional information is available at www.militaryfriendlyschools.com.
- Complete an Application for Benefits online at www.gibill.va.gov . Select "Education Benefits", "How to Apply", "Apply for Benefits Online";
- Submit to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office a certified copy of your DD-214 (veterans) or an original DD Form 2384 - Notice of Basic Eligibility (reserves); and
For Chapter 33 (post 9/11) only - you will need to provide to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office a copy of the "Letter of Eligibility" with the percentage the VA will pay. Your following semester will not be certified without this document;
- Submit copies of training completion certificates to the Glen Oaks Registration Office- all military training received by the veteran must be evaluated by the Registrar's Office for college credit. See Evaluation of Transfer Credits to Glen Oaks, Educational Experience in the Armed Forces;
- Request a military transcript online at https://jst.dod.mil/official.html
- Request official grade transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Transcripts must be received directly from the previously attended college to the Glen Oaks Registration Office.
Each Semester Enrolled in Classes
Students who plan to use Veteran Benefits must take the following actions each semester:
- Complete the Request for VA Certification form and submit to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office. Form is available in the Financial Aid Office or at this link;
- Enroll in the FACTS deferred payment plan for Veterans through this link:
-The following information will be required: GOCC 7 digit student ID#, date of birth, semester
enrolled, and form of payment (checking/savings or credit card).
-Contact the Glen Oaks Cashier at 269-294-4235 or firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm
your deferred payment as a VA student.
Note: Be sure to read all directions carefully.
Veteran Academic Advisor
It is encouraged for you to meet with the VA Academic Advisor before you schedule your classes. Please note: Classes that are not required for your program of study cannot be certified.
Ben Fries, Academic Advisor
1-888-994-7818 extension 271
If the student has received Veterans Benefits for attendance at another college, he/she must:
- Complete the VA Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training at www.gibill.va.gov;
- Request official grade transcripts from all colleges previously attended. Transcripts must be received directly from the previously attended college to Glen Oaks Registration Office.
Veterans may be certified for a maximum of 62 hours (the exception being the prior approval of a change of program by the Veterans Administration). This includes any credits earned for military courses training, attendance at other institutions, CLEP scores, etc. accepted for credit at Glen Oaks.
Reporting Changes to the Financial Aid Office
Recipients of Veterans Benefits are to notify the Financial Aid Office immediately if any of the changes below apply:
- Changes in training programs or credit hour class load; and/or
- Withdrawals/Incompletes from Glen Oaks Community College.
Veterans may be held liable for any overpayment of benefits as the result of failure to report such changes.
: Veterans Certification - Veterans are certified when all documentation required by VA has been received and you have met with the VA counselor. It usually takes 6-8 weeks before benefits are received. Some benefits are mailed directly to the veteran and it is his/her responsibility to make payment to Glen Oaks.
Standards of Progress For Veterans Benefits
The Standards of Progress policy at Glen Oaks is as follows: Students certified to receive Veterans Educational Benefits are required to maintain a cumulative GPA which meets or exceeds that required for graduation (2.0). Students who fail to meet this minimum standard are placed on Warning for a maximum of one semester. If after a subsequent semester the student's cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, he/she will no longer be certified for Veterans Benefits.
Students may re-apply for Veterans Benefits when they've met the minimum standards for at least one enrollment period prior to the period they're applying for. The Financial Aid Office may also approve recertification in documented special circumstances.
Veterans are hereby informed that failure to meet the Standards of Progress will be reported to the Veterans Administration. Recipients of Veterans Benefits will be notified by mail when they are not in compliance with the Standards of Progress.
Contact Us with any questions: 269-294-4260 or email@example.com