Teaching Excellence award for 2014. Current and former students, staff and community members are all invited
to nominate a full-time faculty member at Glen Oaks Community College for this prestigious award, which is
presented annually to an outstanding faculty member. The nominee should exemplify high professional
standards, excellence in teaching and whose position as a faculty member reflects upon the value of education
to his or her students and the quality of education. The appointment includes a monetary award.
- Demonstrate a high professional standard both inside and outside the classroom
- Show expertise in course content; display creative thinking and innovative techniques in the learning environment
- Make the difficult learnable; be responsive to learning styles
- Express enthusiasm for learning; motivate students to learn and create an environment that is conducive to learning
- Have an excellent ability to convey knowledge to students; encourage lifelong learning and challenge students to think critically
- Care about how all are doing; appreciate diversity and make connections
The E. J. Shaheen “Chair for Teaching Excellence” was initiated in 1984 after a generous donation by Eli J.
Shaheen, an original member of the Glen Oaks Board of Trustees, to recognize dedicated teaching faculty at the
College. Shaheen was a professor, lawyer and business owner who placed a high value on education. A great
deal of his later life was spent promoting educational institutions that had been a part of his life or education.
The library at Glen Oaks Community College is named in his honor.
The E. J. Shaheen Selection Committee consists of two GOCC Foundation members, the college president, dean
of academics and extended learning, a retired full-time GOCC faculty member and a current GOCC student.
The recipient will be selected without any action on his or her part to enter the selection process. The individual
is also not required to render substantial future services as a condition to receiving the award. The instructor
receiving the “Chair for Teaching Excellence” Award will be announced in May.
The nominees for the award may be entered on a nomination form (available at the GOCC Information Desk
and at www.glenoaks.edu) by students, staff, former students or community members. All nominations should
be submitted to the President’s Office at Glen Oaks. Nominations will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Fri., March 28,