The Distinguished Alumni Award is presented annually to alumni who are making a difference in their communities and who have remembered the college along the way. Annually, the college recognizes those who have completed at least 30 credit hours at the college or have earned associate degrees. Nominees have demonstrated achievement in their chosen professions, service to their communities, or outstanding contributions to the college.
The Fellows Award recognizes an individual(s) or institution(s) who has provided outstanding support of the college as evidenced by one or more of the following:
An individual who has provided long-term outward public support and/or direct service to the college. Former/retired employees may be considered.
The E. J. Shaheen Chair for Teaching Excellence Award is presented to an outstanding faculty member who exemplifies high professional standards, demonstrates excellence in teaching and whose position as a faculty member reflects upon the value of education to his or her students and the quality of education. The appointment includes a monetary award. Nominees should:
- Show expertise in course content; display creative thinking and innovative techniques in the learning environment.
- Make the difficult learnable; be responsive to learning styles.
- Express enthusiasm for learning; motivate students to learn and create an environment that is conducive to learning.
- Have an excellent ability to convey knowledge to students; encourage lifelong learning and challenge students to think critically.
- Care about how all are doing; appreciate diversity and make connections.
The E. J. Shaheen “Chair for Teaching Excellence” was initiated in 1984 after a generous donation by Mr. Eli J. Shaheen, an original member of the Glen Oaks Board of Trustees, to recognize dedicated teaching faculty at the College. Shaheen was a professor, lawyer and business owner who placed a high value on education. A great deal of his later life was spent promoting educational institutions that had been a part of his life or education. The library at Glen Oaks Community College is named in his honor.
Nomination forms including qualifications for all of the awards may be found at glenoaks.edu, under the About/Awards tab. Completed forms should be submitted to the President’s Office at Glen Oaks. Nominations will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Monday, Mar. 27, 2017.