The College representatives will answer questions about the admission process, entrance requirements and programming, and is framed as a night for students to explore higher education options available to them.
“Students and parents will have the opportunity to speak directly with college representatives throughout the evening, without having to travel to various campuses, make t telephone calls, or search the Internet for information,” says Tonya Howden, GOCC director of admissions.
As part of the event, there will be a free Financial Aid Information Session from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Nora Hagen Theatre, Room D235 at Glen Oaks. Jean Zimmerman, GOCC director of financial aid, will discuss how students and families can take advantage of federal and state grants, scholarships and loans. She will address the application timelines and deadlines as part of the overall financial aid process.
In addition to GOCC, the list of colleges and U.S. military agencies expected to participate are listed below:
Ball State University
Central Michigan University
Columbia College Chicago
Eastern Michigan University
Ferris State University
Glen Oaks Community College
Grace Bible College
Great Lakes Christian College
Holy Cross College
Indiana Univ.-Purdue Univ.-Fort Wayne
Johnson & Wales University
Kellogg Community College
Kendall College of Art and Design
Lake Superior State University
Lawrence Technological University
Lincoln College of Technology
Michigan State University
Michigan Technological University
Northern Michigan University
Saginaw Valley State University
Saint Mary’s College
Siena Heights University
Southwestern Michigan College
Spring Arbor University
University of Michigan
University of Michigan-Flint
University of St. Francis
Wayne State University
Western Michigan University
In order to make the most out of the event, Howden recommends that students and parents ask the college representatives:
- What are the admissions requirements?
- What assistance is available if I am undecided about my career goal?
- Do you offer the program of study that interests me? Are there special requirements for admission to that program?
- What deadlines should I be especially aware of as I consider applying?
- How do I arrange a campus tour and a meeting with a college advisor?
- What employment assistance do you provide prior to and after graduation?
- What kinds of support services do you offer?
- Do you have on-campus housing? What other living arrangements do you offer? What type of transportation will I need?
- What kinds of activities can I be involved in at your college?
- Can you provide me with information about tuition and fees? How do I apply for financial assistance?
- Are there any scholarships which I may be eligible for?
For more information, contact the Glen Oaks Community College Admissions Office at 269.467.9945, Ext. 253 or toll free 888.994.7818.