Athletics and Glen Oaks allowed Jim Bishop to get the education he so desired. Glen Oaks and the Athletic Department had a special place in Jim’s heart. He played on the first basketball teams at Glen Oaks Community College for Coach Ken Schuler. Jim was also a coaching assistant for the teams in the 1970’s.
The Jim Bishop Athletic Scholarship Fund was initially established in 1980 after Jim’s death from an auto accident. Jim attended Glen Oaks during its initial two years of existence. Jim’s family funded this scholarship to allow athletes in this county to get an education and play the sport they love at the same time. Jim and his family believed athletics are an important aspect of Glen Oaks and St. Joseph County.
- Students must pursue an Associate Degree or Certificate
- Students must have and maintain a G.P.A. of 2.5
- Students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours
- Returning students must be a member in good standing of their respective sport as determined by the Head Coach and Athletic Director
Sophomore Basketball student athlete with a positive enthusiastic attitude
- Academic ability, financial circumstances and career goals will be taken in consideration in selecting the recipients
- Consideration will be given to recommendations from faculty and high school staff
- The recipients of the Jim Bishop Athletic Scholarship will be expected to maintain a semester GPA of at least 2.5 while receiving the scholarship
- Must remain to be a member in good standing with their respective sport
- Students will be selected by the Athletic Director
- The scholarship may be applied to all education related expenses.
- There shall be no limit on the number or amount of said scholarships provided the principal is not utilized.
- Must reapply
The Office of Financial Aid will disburse the scholarship according to the standard school policy.
If, at any time, the College Foundation policies and procedures in effect for the administration of award and scholarship funds are changed, these provisions are automatically modified to conform.
Whenever it appears that changing conditions make this plan no longer applicable, practical, or suited to the general purposes stated above, the College Foundation would confer with the donor or their representative to secure a modification of the plan. If the Foundation is unable to locate the donor or their representative after reasonable efforts, then the Foundation is authorized to utilize the fund for any other suitable educational
purpose, so that the fund will provide the maximum service to the community through the advancement of higher education.