Director Learning Commons
Part-Time (20 hours/week), GOSSE – Level III
July 18, 2022
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position reports to the Director of Learning Commons, but may also take direction from the Assistant Director of Learning Commons in the Director’s absence. Employees in this position perform many support activities to meet the informational and educational needs of Learning Commons (LC) patrons. They assist patrons in the use of LC resources, curriculum related software, research via the library catalog, periodical databases, or the Internet, as well as proctor a variety of tests. They assist patrons and promote LC services and resources to a diverse population of patrons. Examples of duties performed by this position include:
- Open the LC and prepare for the day’s responsibilities, or close the LC and provide appropriate security such as taking measures to secure LC property, ensuring vacancy of the premises before closing, etc.
- Assist students, faculty, and patrons in the use of computer programs such as Microsoft Office, as well as with password resets.
- Proctor a variety of tests (on and off campus) including but not limited to Accuplacer, GOCC tests, and Pearson Vue, while providing accommodations when needed, such as a scribing or reading.
- Maintain a working knowledge of electronic materials, databases, the Internet, and curriculum related software to assist students, faculty and patrons.
- Assist in providing basic reference services on campus and on-line, referring to the Director of Learning Commons as necessary.
- Assist in maintaining the circulation functions of the LC, including checking out materials, processing overdues, placing holds on accounts, and facilitating ILL requests.
- Assist with the acquisition, cataloguing, processing and withdrawal of materials, including maintaining library databases.
- Maintain statistics on LC usage.
- Conduct appropriate communications on behalf of the LC and assist with accurate maintenance of LC schedule.
- Create and update LC knowledgebase and/or documentation at the direction of the Director of Learning Commons.
- Assist in the training and supervision of the work studies.
- Other duties within the scope of this position as assigned by their supervisor.
- Associate Degree in related field.
- Acquire and maintain appropriate testing certifications.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diverse population of patrons.
- Accuracy, precision, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and skill in operating standard office machines, audio-visual equipment, computers and curriculum related software.
- Demonstrated keyboarding ability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of library research.
- One (1) year relevant work experience.
- Credentials in curriculum and library related software.
- Experience with web page maintenance.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts and three professional references to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com or attach to our online application. Position will remain posted until July 28, 2022 or until filled.
Glen Oaks Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Section 504 Employer. This organization participates in E-verify. For more information, please visit the DHS E-verify site.