The Mary A. Hoffine Nursing Scholarship is being established by Phillip L. Hoffine and Pamela A. Hoffine in memory of Phillip’s mother Mary A. Hoffine. Mary was a graduate of the Licensed Practical Nursing Class of 1969, the second Nursing Class to graduate from Glen Oaks Community College. Mary A. Hoffine had a long and successful career in nursing following her mid-life nursing education.
The purpose of this Fund is to provide scholarship support to qualified individuals in their nursing education at Glen Oaks Community College. The scholarship is to be awarded to talented students committed to nursing who plan to complete a two-year nursing degree
at Glen Oaks.
The effect of this scholarship, in addition to functioning as a strong incentive for and a prestigious acknowledgement of excellence in nursing, would be to raise the rate of retention for talented nursing majors by providing a strong and appealing reason for remaining at Glen Oaks Community College.
The Scholarship will serve to honor and substantially reward each year’s recipients and to significantly enhance and embellish the Glen Oaks Community College nursing program as a recruitment and retention tool.
- Maintain full time student status
- Nursing major
- Maintain overall 2.5 g.p.a.
- First year students will be eligible directly out of high school, if dual enrolled and they meet Nursing Program prerequisites
- To a student with greater financial need versus higher academic performance
- Must be accepted into the Nursing Program
- Talented and committed
- Will be attending core-nursing classes
- Active participant in the Nursing Program
- Participation in activities and projects beyond standard class activities may include voluntary commitment
- Intention to work in St. Joseph County upon completion of training
- Students will be selected by the GOCC Foundation Scholarship Selection Committee based upon the above criteria.
- Final selection of scholarship recipients will be made by the Director of Financial Aid/Scholarship and Assistant Dean of the Nursing and Allied Health Programs.
- Students may be identified out of high school by recommendation of their School Counselor
- Final selection by the end of July
- This is a Scholarship to be granted to the student for education related expenses.
- Number and size determined by availability of funds and number of qualified applicants
- Must reapply
The Office of Financial Aid will disburse the scholarship according to the standard school policy.
If, at any time, the College Foundation policies and procedures in effect for the administration of award and scholarship funds are changed, these provisions will be automatically modified to conform.
The donor initiated this award in October of 1999.
The fund is now endowed (as of January 14, 2003) and monies will be held in a restricted endowed account. Distribution shall begin in the 2003/04 school years.
Whenever it appears that changing conditions make this plan no longer applicable, practical, or suited to the general purposes stated above, the College Foundation would confer with the donor or their representative to secure a modification of the plan. If the
Foundation is unable to locate the donor or their representative after reasonable efforts, then the Foundation is authorized to utilize the fund for any other suitable educational purpose, so that the fund will provide the maximum service to the community through the
advancement of higher education.