Student Complaint Process

Glen Oaks Community College is devoted to your success and is here to support you with any complaints, concerns or problems you may encounter as a student. The College tracks, monitors and evaluates student complaints and appeals in order to make institutional improvements to better serve you.

Accreditation Complaints
As required by the Department of Education as of October 29, 2010 regulations (34 C.F.R. 668.43), the following information is provided for complaints that are unresolved after addressing them at the College as described above. The Higher Learning Commission will take complaints related to general practices that may affect accreditation. To get more specific information, contact the HLC at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411 or visit the Higher Learning Commission website.

State of Michigan
The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ Corporations, Security & Commercial Licensing Bureau is the agency designated to review complaints against institutions of higher education providing online education. Complaints concerning GOCC’s online education activities regulated by Michigan’s Higher Education Authorization and Distance Education Reciprocal Exchange Act (2015 PA 45) may be directed to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau, P.O. Box 30018, Lansing, MI 48909 through the Post Secondary Student Complaints process PDF icon.

Other States
Students who do not reside in Michigan may contact the authority in their home state, which may be found on the website of the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association.  SHEEO web site

If the unresolved complaint involves an active duty service member or veteran of the U.S. military, contact the Military OneSource Postsecondary Education Complaint System.

Consumer Protection Complaints
If the unresolved complaint is a consumer protection issue, contact the Attorney General at the Consumer Protection Division, P.O. Box 30213, Lansing, MI 48909-7713 or visit the State of Michigan’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website.