The Senator Harry Gast Leadership Scholarship is being established to honor Senator Harry Gast as he prepares to retire from the Senate of the State of Michigan. Senator Gast has distinguished himself with exemplary service to community colleges and residents of the 20th District from 1978 to 2002. Through his position as Chair of the Community College Subcommittee, as well as the Senate Appropriations and Capital Outlay committees Senator Gast was a champion for community colleges, their projects and especially their students.
The Senator Harry Gast Leadership Scholarship is established to recognize exceptional Glen Oaks Community College students demonstrating leadership and integrity. The scholarship is to be awarded to talented students committed to public service and community change who plan to finish a two-year degree at Glen Oaks.
The effect of this scholarship, in addition to functioning as an incentive for and a prestigious acknowledgement of leadership and integrity, would be to raise the rate of retention for talented students by providing a strong and appealing reason for remaining at Glen Oaks Community College.
This scholarship will be funded with an initial $5,000. gift from Senator Harry Gast, a $5,000. match from the Glen Oaks Community College Foundation, and proceeds from a Toast and Roast Benefit to honor Senator Gast.
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent with a minimum g.p.a. of 3.00
- Maintain full time student status and a 3.00 g.p.a.
- Glen Oaks Community College District or service area resident
- First year students will be eligible directly out of high school
- Students pursuing an Associate Degree in General Studies or an Associates of Arts with emphasis in American government/political science, history, social sciences, education or social work.
- Participation in activities and projects beyond standard class activities may include voluntary involvement in student government and other college related social activities. High School students may be required to provide a letter of support from High School officials or teachers.
- Students will be selected by the scholarship committee based upon the above criteria.
- Students may be requested to provide a letter of recommendation from their School Counselor or a High School Instructor.
- The Scholarship may be applied to all education related expenses.
- Number and size determined by availability of funds and number of qualified applicants
- Minimum of one scholarship award each term based on the availability of funds
- Must reapply
The Office of Financial Aid will disburse the scholarship according to the standard school policy.
If, at any time, the College Foundation policies and procedures in effect for the administration of award and scholarship funds are changed, these provisions will be automatically modified to conform.
The donor initiated this scholarship in July of 2002. This fund was initially established as an endowed scholarship with a match of $5,000. from the Glen Oaks Community College Foundation. The fund is now endowed and monies will be held in a restricted endowed account. Distribution may begin in the 2003/04 school year, provided fund availability.
Whenever it appears that changing conditions make this plan no longer applicable, practical, or suited to the general purposes stated above, the College Foundation will confer with the donor or their representative to secure a modification of the plan. If the Foundation is unable to locate the donor or their representative after reasonable efforts, then the Foundation is authorized to utilize the fund for any other suitable educational purpose, so that the fund will provide the maximum service to the community through the advancement of higher education.