Disability Support FAQ


1.  Am I required to disclose my disability?

No. However, if you do not disclose your disability to the Support Services for Students with Disabilities office, you will not receive any accommodations or services.

2.  Am I required to use all of my accommodations?

No. You may use any, all, or none of your accommodations for any of your classes. The decision is entirely yours.

3.  Are disabled students held to the same behavioral standards as everyone else?

Yes. All Glen Oaks Community College students are required to abide by the Student Code of Conduct. Threatening or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated by any Glen Oaks Community College student.

4.  Are your services confidential?


5.  Does Glen Oaks provide personal attendants?

No. Personal attendants are not provided at the post-secondary level.

6.  How soon should I request accommodations?

The sooner the better. Some accommodations take time to arrange and the Support Services for Students with Disabilities office requests that request for accommodations be made as early as reasonably possible.

7.  Is there a charge to receive services?


8.  May I appeal a decision of the Support Services for Students with Disabilities office?

Yes. Appeals should be directed to the Glen Oaks Community College Civil Rights Coordinator.

9.  May I receive accommodations retroactively?

Never. That is why it is so important to arrange for accommodations as early as possible.

10.  May I receive accommodations without going through the Support Services for Students with Disabilities office?

No. An integral part of determining eligibility for accommodations is receiving and reviewing documentation of disability. Only the Support Services for Students with Disabilities office is equipped to do this.

11.  What are the characteristics of ideal disability documentation?

Ideally, disability documentation should be as recent as possible, should include a diagnosis of disability made by a professional qualified to make the diagnosis, should request specific accommodations, should connect the requested accommodations to the disability, and should be on professional letterhead.

12.  What should I do if an instructor refuses to grant my accommodations?

Be respectful and do not argue with the instructor. Inform the Support Services for Students with Disabilities office as soon as possible. It is their job to serve as your advocate and they will work with you and the instructor to resolve the situation.

13.  Why are the accommodations I receive at Glen Oaks different than those I received in high school?

After a student graduates from high school, they are no longer under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). They continue to be protected, however, by Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

The overall orientation of IDEA is success. The overall orientation of ADA and Section 504 is to protect disabled students from being discriminated against by providing them equal access to all programs and activities. The differences in underlying law may result in a difference in services and accommodations provided.

Accommodations at the college level are not designed to give students with disabilities advantages over non-disabled students. Rather, accommodations should “level the playing field” so disabled students are not discriminated against based on their disability and are able to compete equally with non-disabled students. Any accommodation that gives a disabled student an advantage over a non-disabled student, or any accommodation that requires fundamental alteration of the core intent and content of a course, is not allowed.

14.  What is the first thing I need to do if I wish to receive services?

Schedule an intake. You may do so by contacting the Student Support Specialist. You may do so by calling 269-294-4241 or via our Contact Form.