Veteran's Benefits banner

Veterans Benefits

PrintGlen Oaks Community College has been included on the 2015 list of Military Friendly Schools®. This honor ranks Glen Oaks as one of the top 20% of schools nationwide that delivers the best experience for America’s military service members, veterans, and spouses. Additional information is available at


First-Time Applicants

  1. Complete an Application for Benefits online at Select “Apply for Benefits”
  2. Submit to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office a certified copy of your DD-214 (veterans) or an original DD Form 2384 – Notice of Basic Eligibility (reserves); and
  3. For Chapter 33 (post 9/11) only – you will need to provide to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office a copy of the “Letter of Eligibility” with the percentage the VA will pay. Your following semester will not be certified without this document;
  4. Submit copies of training completion certificates to the Glen Oaks Registration Office- all military training received by the veteran must be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office for college credit. See Evaluation of Transfer Credits to Glen Oaks, Educational Experience in the Armed Forces;
  5. Request a military transcript online at
  6. Request official grade transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Transcripts must be received directly from the previously attended college to the Glen Oaks Registration Office.


Each Semester Enrolled in Classes

Students who plan to use Veteran Benefits must take the following actions each semester:

  1. Complete the Request for VA Certification form.
  2. Enroll in the Nelnet (FACTS) Deferred Payment plan for Veterans through the link below:

    Nelnet (FACTS) Deferred Payment Plan for Veterans

Note: The following information will be required:

  • GOCC 7 Digit Student ID#
  • Date of Birth
  • Semester Enrolled
  • Form of Payment (checking/savings or credit card).

You may contact the Glen Oaks Cashier at 269-294-4235 or via our Contact Form to confirm your deferred payment as a VA student.

Veteran Academic Advisor

It is encouraged for you to meet with the VA Academic Advisor before you schedule your classes. Please note: Classes that are not required for your program of study cannot be certified.

Ben Fries, Academic Advisor
Contact Form
1-888-994-7818 extension 271

Transfer Applicants

If the student has received Veterans Benefits for attendance at another college, he/she must:

  1. Complete the VA Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training at;
  2. Request official grade transcripts from all colleges previously attended. Transcripts must be received directly from the previously attended college to Glen Oaks Registration Office.


Maximum Hours

Veterans may be certified for a maximum of 62 hours (the exception being the prior approval of a change of program by the Veterans Administration). This includes any credits earned for military courses training, attendance at other institutions, CLEP scores, etc. accepted for credit at Glen Oaks.
Reporting Changes to the Registration Office

Recipients of Veterans Benefits are to notify the Registration Office immediately if any of the changes below apply:

  1. Changes in training programs or credit hour class load; and/or
  2. Withdrawals/Incompletes from Glen Oaks Community College.

Veterans may be held liable for any over-payment of benefits as the result of failure to report such changes.

Note: Veterans Certification – Veterans are certified after the semester refund period, if all documentation has been received, and you have met with the VA conselor. Early certification is only done upon written request to the School Certifying Office. It usually takes 6-8 weeks before benefits are received. Some benefits are mailed directly to the veteran and it is his/her responsibility to make payment to Glen Oaks.

Standards of Progress For Veterans Benefits

The Standards of Progress policy at Glen Oaks is as follows: Students certified to receive Veterans Educational Benefits are required to maintain a cumulative GPA which meets or exceeds that required for graduation (2.0). Students who fail to meet this minimum standard are placed on Warning for a maximum of one semester. If after a subsequent semester the student’s cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, he/she will no longer be certified for Veterans Benefits.

Students may re-apply for Veterans Benefits when they’ve met the minimum standards for at least one enrollment period prior to the period they’re applying. The Registration Office may also approve re-certification in documented special circumstances.

Veterans are hereby informed that failure to meet the Standards of Progress will be reported to the Veterans Administration. Recipients of Veterans Benefits will be notified by mail when they are not in compliance with the Standards of Progress.

Contact the Registration Office with any questions via our Contact Form or call 269-294-4259.