Dual Enrollment

The Dual Enrollment program offers eligible public high school students and students from state-approved nonpublic high schools the opportunity to earn college credit while attending high school.

When all criteria identified by the state are met, the student’s tuition, applicable fees, and textbooks may be paid by the school through the district’s state foundation grant.

Apply for Dual Enrollment

Adrienne Skinner
Director of Admissions
Adrienne is the contact person for the Dual Enrollment program at Glen Oaks.

Am I eligible?

According to the State of Michigan Public Act 131 of 2012, qualifying students in grades 9-12 may attend college as a dual enrolled student at a postsecondary institution. Homeschooled students may participate if they are taking at least one course at a public high school (in order for a high school to pay for courses).Eligible students are those who are enrolled in at least one high school course and have taken the MME in all subject areas—Math, Science, Reading, Writing, and Social Studies.

If the student has not achieved endorsements in all areas, he/she is eligible to take courses limited to the areas in which the student has received endorsements.

Students are eligible to take courses within subject areas in which there are no endorsements, such as foreign language or computer science, or courses not offered by the district as long as students have taken all parts of the MME.

Course Limits

If the school district covers the costs of tuition and applicable fees, students are eligible to enroll in a maximum of 10 courses throughout their high school career. This is different than students in the Early Middle College program who obtain more credits. This limit does not apply if the student covers costs or if there is a written agreement between the high school and the college.

For Entering 9th grade students:

  • 9th grade-2 course limit
  • 10th grade-2 course limit
  • 11th grade-2 course limit
  • 12th grade-4 course limit

For Entering 10th grade students:

  • 10th Grade-2 course limit
  • 11th Grade-4 course limit
  • 12th Grade-4 course limit

Course Limits are for the academic year.

For Entering 11th or 12th grade students:

  • No more than 6 courses during either of those academic years

Course Locations

In addition to courses at Glen Oaks, college classes are offered at several area high schools and online. Offerings vary by semester.

Placement Testing

Students must take the Accuplacer test (whether the Classic or the Next Generation) OR have qualifying ACT/SAT scores in order to take most classes with Glen Oaks. There are some courses that do not require qualifying test scores.

Please see “What do my scores mean?” in the Links section of the sidebar on this page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I ever have to pay for a course?

It depends. If the course(s) you want exceed the dollar amount that the high school is willing to pay, then you would owe a balance (this would be submitted to your high school, not Glen Oaks).

More importantly, if you FAIL a course or DROP it after Glen Oaks’ refund period, you could be responsible for reimbursing your high school.

Some students choose to self-pay for courses, you will still complete most steps listed below, and you do not necessarily need your high school’s permission for this.

Do these credits transfer?

Yes! Students have transferred their credits to many institutions across the state and beyond! We always advise students that if they have a school in mind, to contact them and make sure the classes they are taking make sense for the degree/certificate they will be studying in the future.

What do I need to do to get started?

  1. Talk to your high school counselor about eligibility. If you are home-schooled please make an appointment with the Director of Admissions.
  2. Take the Accuplacer Placement Test or submit your SAT/ACT scores to Glen Oaks’ Director of Admissions. These will help us determine your skill level.
  3. Go to Etrieve and fill out an application. This allows us to see that you are interested and give you a Glen Oaks ID#.
    • Log in with your high school email/Google/Facebook/Outlook account.
    • Click on “forms” find High School Students section, then click ‘Application CTE-DE-HS Form’.
    • Complete and Submit
  4. Parent’s must complete the Parent Permission Form on the High School Options page at glenoaks.edu, granting permission to the student to take college courses.
  5. Students will meet with Glen Oaks staff at their high school or on campus to get help with choosing courses for the upcoming semester.
  6. Selection of courses will be filled out electronically via Etrieve (using the student’s new GOCC login) then submitted to the high school for approval. Students will also complete an electronic Student Agreement at this time.
  7. Once the high school has approved, the student will be registered for classes and can use their GOCC login to view their schedule on the myGOCC portal.
  8. Any changes or errors must be brought to the attention of the counselor or GOCC Dual Enrollment staff.