An application for graduation must be filed by each student for each degree or certificate he or she wishes to receive from Glen Oaks Community College.
- Determine if you are within 9 credits of completing (including classes you’re currently enrolled in). Check your program of study at the beginning of your last semester. If you plan to complete in the spring/summer term, make application in the winter term (starting with the previous January). There are advisers in Student Services available to help.
- Complete the Application for Graduation form located in the Graduation Overview section in your myGOCC account.
- Your credits will be evaluated by the Registrar to determine if all requirements have been met to complete your degree and/or certificate. Note: see “Catalog Affecting Credits and Graduation”.
- You will receive an email from the Registrar indicating that you qualify for your certificate or degree or listing the credits or courses you still need to complete.
- You only need to apply one time for a particular degree or certificate. If you do not meet the requirements the semester you apply, notify the Registration/Records Office again at the beginning of the semester you intend to complete to re-activate your application.
- Graduation exercises are held once a year at the end of the winter semester for all candidates.
- Diplomas will be sent by mail to students satisfying all requirements.
Second Degrees or Certificates
Second degrees will be awarded based on the catalog in effect at the time of enrollment in the new program and cannot be extended beyond four years. For a second Associate Degree, a student must complete a minimum of 15 additional credit hours beyond the first degree at Glen Oaks and achieve a 2.0 (C) grade point average for the additional credits.
It is required that these additional credits be planned and approved in writing through an advisor. Written approval of the additional 15 credits must be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office in order to be considered for the awarding of the degree. Second or additional Certificates will be evaluated based on the catalog in effect at the completion of the second certificate.
Cap & Gown Size Chart
|4’9 – 4’11||UP TO 130 LB|
|5’0 – 5’2||UP TO 150 LB|
|5’3 – 5’5||UP TO 170 LB|
|5’6 – 5’8||UP TO 250 LB|
|5’9 – 5’11||UP TO 275 LB|
|6’0 -6’2||UP TO 300 LB|
|6’3 – 6’5||UP TO 325 LB|
|6’6 – 6’8||UP TO 350 LB|
|PLUS 1: 4’9-5’5||OVER 200 LB|
|PLUS 2: 5’6-5’11||OVER 275 LB|
|PLUS 3: 6’0-6’5||OVER 325 LB|
NOTE: The plus size gown will comfortably fit a bust/waist/hip measurement of 72 inches. If you do not need this much width in the body of the gown but your weight is slightly higher than the ranges listed above, order the next taller gown (example: instead of 5’3-5’5, order 5’6-5’8).