Glen Oaks Community College

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find answers to some of our most common housing questions. If you have other questions or issues not addressed below, please submit them to the Housing Office.
College student at dorm room laying in bed. It is night and she is using smart phone to check social networks.

What are the qualifications to live on campus at Glen Oaks Community College?

You must be a full-time student (12 credits in Fall and Winter semesters; 6 credits in Summer), maintain a 2.0 GPA and be 18 years old or older by the end of the first semester of residency in the building.

What if I don't know anyone?

You do not need to know someone to fill out an application or sign a Housing Agreement to live on-campus. We match you with other students who are also looking for suite mates. It is a great way to meet people and make new friends.

What does it cost to live in student housing?

The college offers both two and four-bedroom apartment options.

  • Two Bedroom Suite – Fall and Winter: $3350*; Summer: $1500*
  • Four Bedroom Suite – Fall and Winter: $3000*; Summer: $1200*

*per term/person

What are the benefits of living in Devier Student Suites?

Students who live on-campus automatically qualify for in-district tuition. In addition, research from The American Council on Education shows students who reside on-campus:

  • Report a higher satisfaction with their college experience.
  • Are more likely to succeed in college and complete their degree.
  • Are more likely to achieve and maintain a higher grade point average (GPA).
  • Have a positive self-image, with enhanced self-confidence, public speaking ability and self-reliance.
  • Participate in more extracurricular activities (a factor especially important to recruiters in the job search process).

Other national studies show students who live on-campus:

  • Develop relationships with a diverse population of people.
  • Are exposed to a wider range of ideas and cultures.
  • Develop stronger interpersonal and communication skills.
  • Are involved in campus leadership, organizations and activities.
  • Have more contact with faculty and staff members.

Does the application guarantee me a room?

Your space in housing is only reserved after the Housing Office has received your application, approved the background check, received the $75 administrative fee, and received your Housing Agreement. Spaces are only guaranteed when the agreement has been signed by both the applicant and guarantor and counter signed by the Housing Office.

What is a guarantor?

The Guarantor is a legal parent, guardian, or sponsor that authorizes Glen Oaks Community College, (or their designee), to use reasonable and necessary means to obtain payment from the parent, guardian, or sponsor in the event the resident’s financial obligations have not been fulfilled. Unless changed by the resident, the Guarantor will remain in place for the duration of residency, including the renewal process.

How do I pay my non-refundable administrative fee with the application?

Although the application will be submitted online, payment must be submitted via check, or credit/debit card through the Cashier’s Office. If you are sending a check, please mail it with your background check release form to the Cashier’s Office, Glen Oaks Community College, 62249 Shimmel Road, Centreville, MI 49032. If you’d prefer to pay via credit/debit card, please call (269) 294-4235. Transactions using a debit/credit card will be assessed a 2.75% service fee. Financial aid may not be used to cover the administrative fee.

Will there be staff or Resident Assistants in the building?

Housing staff members will reside in the community, including a professional staff member and Resident Assistants. These employees will be available at various times to help residents and provide activities throughout your residency.

What are the sizes of the rooms?

The four-bedroom/two-bathroom apartment is approximately 1,000 square feet of living area shared between the four residents. Each person has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the space – living room, kitchen and bathrooms.

The two-bedroom/one-bathroom apartment is approximately 500 square feet of living space shared between the two residents. Each person has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the space – living room, kitchen and bathroom.

Does my door lock?

A key card access system is employed at the main entry of the building. Residents’ key cards also provide access to their apartments and individual bedrooms. Closed-circuit security cameras are located throughout the building and at all entrances and exits.

What technology will be available to residents?

Residents will be able to take advantage of wireless connections in every room and throughout the building.

Will the housing cost be covered by financial aid?

If a student is attending Glen Oaks Community College (GOCC), any financial aid (i.e. grants, loans, scholarships, etc.) remaining after GOCC tuition and fees are paid will go toward paying the student housing cost. This will be reflected on the student’s GOCC bill. Any portion of the housing costs that is not paid by financial aid will be an out-of-pocket expense. For additional information regarding financial aid, please call the Financial Aid Office 269-294-4260. We encourage all residents to complete the Cost Worksheet.

What is provided in the apartments?

Resident rooms have a twin bed, desk and chair, chest of drawers, built-in closet, individually controlled heat and air-conditioning, and wi-fi. The shared living space has a sofa, coffee table, end table, controllable heat and air-conditioning, DirectTV, and Wi-Fi. Kitchens have upper and lower cabinets, counter top, full-size refrigerator, microwave, stove and oven. In addition to a shower and toilet, bathrooms include vanities, under sink storage and full mirror above the vanity.

What items do I need to bring for my apartment?

While furniture and appliances are included, we recommend students bring the following items with them: shower curtain & liner, hooks, bath mat, towels & rags, toiletries, pots & pans, cooking utensils, plates, glasses & silverware, garbage can, small appliances (i.e. blender, toaster, etc.), television, and bed linens (twin).

You will receive your housing assignment and suitemate information in the beginning of August. We encourage all residents to contact their suitemates prior to move-in day to begin getting acquainted and to discuss apartment needs. This is a great way to decide who will bring what so that you do not end up with 4 coffee makers, but no broom.

What items are not permitted?

Candles, incense, hot plates, flammable liquids, contact paper, wallpaper, molly bolts, anchors, etc., paint, weapons, illegal drugs/drug paraphernalia, fireworks, grills (charcoal, electric, or gas), torchiere lamps with halogen bulbs, or halogen lamps.

How do I hang things?

No nails or tape of any kind should be used on the walls, doors, mirrors, or other surfaces; to hang items on the walls it is highly recommended that you use thumb tact’s ONLY. No command strips. LED strip lighting is strictly prohibited.

Are pets allowed?

Fish ONLY are allowed in student housing. There may be one 3 gallon fish tank per apartment unit. Otherwise, GOCC Student Housing is not pet friendly. Exceptions are made for service/emotional support animals. Please contact the Support Services for Students with Disabilities Office at 269-294-4242 for more information if you will be bringing a service/emotional support animal with you.

Why do I have to submit a release form for Devier Student Suites to complete a criminal background check?

Safety is a top priority at GOCC. Everyone who moves into housing receives a background check. Results of the background check are thoroughly reviewed before a student is allowed to live in student housing.

Offenses that may result as ineligible for housing include, but are not limited to:

  • Misdemeanors within the past 6 months of the date of the housing application
  • Multiple misdemeanors
  • Assault, including any form of assault conviction
  • Narcotics/illegal drugs
  • Theft
  • Any felonies

If an applicant is arrested or has an arrest pending during the application process, then Glen Oaks Community College housing may consider such charges in accordance with the standards and guidelines set forth above.

What is the difference between “submitting an application” and “signing a Housing Agreement?”

When you submit a housing application, you are letting Student Housing know you are interested in living on campus at Glen Oaks Community College. There is no official or binding agreement between you and GOCC with just your application. Fees associated with your application are non-refundable and non-transferable. When you sign a Glen Oaks Community College Housing Agreement, you are signing a legally-binding contract to reside on campus for the full term of the Agreement, clearly listed on the Agreement. If, during your occupancy, you cannot meet the requirements of the Glen Oaks Community College Housing Contract you signed, you must submit a Petition for License Agreement Cancellation form to the Housing Office immediately. Review the Glen Oaks Community College Housing Contract very carefully with anyone you need to consult about your decision, such as your parent or guardian.