Welcome to Glen Oaks Community College (GOCC) student housing experience. In addition to the hall being a beautiful structure, we’ve designed it so each room includes amenities to provide residents with a comfortable and convenient living environment. Our commitment to making GOCC Housing a place where students will be academically successful is just as strong as our investment in the brick and mortar. GOCC staff are planning a variety of strategies to bring the classroom to the residential community, so your
investment in housing will pay off with additional opportunities for student success. Please check out the wonderful community we’re creating and know GOCC is committed to providing a great place for students to truly live and learn.
Helpful Resources & Materials
- The Parents’ Survival Guide to Freshman Year of College (Borden, Burlinson and Kearns)
- Letting Go: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding the College Years (Coburn and Treeger)
- When Your Kid Goes to College: A Parents’ Survival Guide (Barkin)
- Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years (Johnson and Schelhas-Miller)
- You’re On Your Own (But I’m Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years (Savage)
- Success and Sanity of the College Campus: A Guide for Parents (Trevouledes and Grieger)
- The iConnected Parent: Staying Close to Your Kids in College (and Beyond) While Letting them Grow Up (Hoffer and Sullivan Moore)
What is FERPA?
- Full names, phone numbers and email addresses to roommates when assignments are distributed to facilitate communication prior to arrival at GOCC Student Housing.
- First names of students on door decorations.
- First names of students on bulletin boards (for building community).
- Full name of student when an award or recognition has been achieved.
- Full name of students participating in a leadership group or association.
- Staff who need to create floor lists.
- Staff who wish to create social networking or electronic communities, or other forms of communications between residents. Residents will be given the option to opt-out of these lists, electronic communities or communication.
We are not able to share information with family members regarding roommate conflicts, judicial issues, conflicts and their resolutions, or other student conduct related issues. Should your son or daughter bring an issue to your attention, please encourage them to contact the Housing Office staff members directly to resolve the situation. If your student wants us to discuss these matters with you, they will need to provide written consent and discuss this option with us personally.
Please know we will contact you if your student is involved in an emergency situation. Appropriate GOCC administrative staff or medical personnel will contact family members listed as emergency contacts. Family members may also be contacted if the College is extremely concerned about a student’s well-being.