Student Ambassadors are committed to providing a positive image of Glen Oaks Community College to prospective students, their families, alumni, and college and community members. The ambassadors are a select group of GOCC students who assist the Admissions Office in a variety of capacities, including recruiting functions, campus tours, visitation days, New Student Orientations, College Night, office functions, and campus or community events.
Student Ambassadors are expected to be enthusiastic, positive individuals who serve the college with pride and professionalism. Ambassadors will increase student engagement, develop leadership skills, and positively represent the student body.
Skills required for this scholarship include: excellent communication skills (verbal and written), proficient computer skills, leadership ability, productive member of a team, and effective time management.
This scholarship is in the amount of $200.00 per semester for a maximum of two semesters each academic year. It is renewable for a second year provided the ambassador meets all eligibility and maintenance requirements listed below.
- New students with a high school grade point average of 3.0; transfer students with a college grade point average of 3.0; or current students with a Glen Oaks grade point average of 3.0.
- Enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours each semester in which student receives scholarship.
- Ambassadors must attend a mandatory orientation and training session in August.
- Work a minimum of 10 hours per semester, which includes scheduled ambassador orientation, trainings, meetings, recruiting events.
- Students will complete and submit the Student Ambassador Application (available on the Glen Oaks web site or in the Student Services Office).
- Deadline to submit all application materials is OCTOBER 1st for the Fall semester.
- If positions remain unfilled after the Fall selection process, applications will reopen for the Winter term.
- Select applicants will participate in an interview with the Admissions Office and/or college staff.
- A maximum of 8 ambassadors will be selected by the Admissions Office and/or college staff based upon application, letter of reference, and interview.
- Maintain a grade point average of 3.0 each semester in which student receives scholarship.
- Attend scheduled ambassador trainings, meetings, and events.
- Work a minimum of 10 hours per semester, which may include scheduled ambassador orientation, trainings, meetings, recruiting events.
- $100 will be awarded at the first financial aid disbursement date of each semester in which the student receives the scholarship.
- $100 will be awarded at the end of each semester provided the student has worked the 10 minimum hours required.
- If the ambassador does not fulfill the 10 minimum hours required to work, he/she must reimburse the college the awarded scholarship amount.