Please use our Services locator options below in order to find the service/resource you are looking for.
Disability Support Services
Welcome to Glen Oaks Community College Disability Support Services. Our mission is to serve Glen Oaks Community College students with disabilities by providing the necessary services to allow them equal access to all Glen Oaks community College programs and activities. It is our privilege to provide accommodations and services to eligible students, and to serve as an advocate for students with disabilities.
Need to make an appointment for an intake? Contact the Disability Support Services counselor.
How Do I Receive Accommodations?
- Complete a Disability Support Services intake with the Student Support Specialist.
This involves completing the necessary paperwork to receive services, and providing acceptable documentation of disability. Although you are not required to provide documentation of disability at the intake, it is ideal if you are able to do so. With only rare exceptions, accommodations are not provided without acceptable documentation of disability.
Ideally, documentation of disability should:
- Be as recent as possible
- Provide a diagnosis of disability made by a professional qualified to make the diagnosis
- Address the functional limitations that result from the disability
- Recommend reasonable accommodations for the disability
- Connect the need for the recommended accommodations to the disability in general and to the functional limitations that result from the disability in particular
- Be on official letterhead
- Meet with the Disability Support Services counselor to review disability documentation and discuss eligibility for services.
Although the Disability Support Services counselor is happy to meet with disabled individuals to discuss available services, with only rare exceptions, he will be unable to determine eligibility to receive services in general, or accommodations in particular, without acceptable documentation.
Typically, the appointment to meet with the Disability Support Services counselor is scheduled during the Disability Support Services intake.
- Complete accommodation eligibility form(s) with the Disability Support Services counselor, register for classes, and get started!
The Disability Support Services counselor is the only person authorized to sign-off on accommodation requests.