Being a Viking is made easier with the Watermark Student app! See how it can simplify your college experience.

Students will benefit by
working with Advisers in
the following areas:

  • Academic Planning
  • Campus Resource Referral
  • Career Counseling
  • Course Selection
  • Dropping/Adding Classes
  • Certificate Degree Requirements
  • Program of Study Exploration
  • Registration
  • Goal Setting

Students enrolling in Glen Oaks Community College for the first time will be assigned an adviser to work with them personally to achieve their goals. All students who attend Glen Oaks will benefit greatly from working with a professional in our Academic Advising unit to insure that they have developed a clear academic plan and are on track for reaching their goals. Our Advisers are available to provide accurate, up to date course information and will assist students in developing a schedule that will take into account all of their responsibilities both in, and out of college. Career guidance is also available. Advisers are also prepared to assist students who need additional support to reach appropriate community resources.

Students entering Glen Oaks with the intent to transfer must consult with a Glen Oaks Adviser in planning their educational program. Through academic advising, students receive assistance with class selection, transfer information, graduation requirements, and career information. This process enables students to make better decisions to meet individual goals.

New students are required to either take the Accuplacer Test or provide documentation of having achieved the minimum required score on the ACT or the SAT1 assessment. Assessment results will be interpreted by Advisers and used to help in selecting courses.

Some student populations such as dual enrolled and high school guest students, international students, special populations students, students with disabilities, and veterans may be required to meet with an Adviser in order to receive special services.

Curriculum guides for degrees and certificates are available in the Student Services Office and here on the website. These guides will be helpful as students make progress towards their academic goals, but should not be considered a substitute for personal contact with an Adviser.

Transfer Guides Information

Transfer Guides are the “maps” that students intending to transfer to a four-year institution should be following. Typically, transfer institutions have Transfer Guides for specific majors, as well as general Transfer Guides for those students who may still be undecided or are planning to transfer to a four-year institution after completing their General Education requirements at Glen Oaks. Glen Oaks Advisors are available to help transfer students narrow down transfer programs and institutions, as well as interpret specific Transfer Guides.

Below are transfer institutions that currently have Transfer Guides available “online.” Select the transfer institution below and then select the program (Transfer Guide) that you wish. These Transfer Guides are in a PDF format which allows students to print a hard copies.Students are always encouraged to check directly with the target transfer institution to get the most up-to-date and accurate information.

You may locate additional information about these and other colleges by searching the MACRO Transfer Equivalencies page.

Career Counseling Services

Degree selection is traditionally based on a person’s career or employment goals. Selecting a degree can be a difficult task if you are uncertain what you would like to accomplish or what type of work you find interesting and meaningful. Aspirations are good indicators of what is important, but aspirations can be overwhelming and confusing when trying to tie them to a specific career pathway.

It takes time and effort to identify, sort and organize plans to obtain your aspirations and career dreams. Taking advantage of every opportunity available to you is the first step in gaining the necessary knowledge to create a plan or successful career pathway. The Career Counselor is available to provide advising, guidance, and testing support to assist with career clarification and choice.

Career planning can be thought of as a journey with many interesting stops along the way. But as with any successful journey, there needs to be a map to follow to reach the journey’s goal.

Helpful Career Links

Occupational Outlook Handbook
A nationally recognized source of career information, designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives. The site includes detailed information for thousands of occupations.

Inside Career Info
Hundreds of people offer candid reviews of their careers along with helpful tips and insights.

The Onet Online
Onet Online contains detailed descriptions for thousands of occupations.

My Plan helps students and professionals plan more fulfilling lives by making well-informed decisions about their education and careers.

The Riley Guide
A directory of employment and career information sources and services on the Internet. Primarily intended to provide instruction for job seekers on how to use the Internet to their best advantage.

Find occupational requirements, wage and employment trends, state-by-state labor market conditions, thousands of employer contacts nationwide, and the most extensive career resource library online.

Employment Projections by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
The Office of Employment Projections develops information about the national labor market for 10 years into the future: labor force trends by sex, race, and age; employment trends by industry and occupation; and their implications on employment opportunities for specific groups, such as youth, the disadvantaged, and college graduates.

What Can I Do With This Major
Learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.

As the world’s #1 job site, Indeed helps millions of job seekers and employers find the right fit.

Glassdoor Access
Glassdoor is your free inside look at jobs and companies. Salary details, company reviews, and interview questions — all posted anonymously by employees and job seekers.

With pathfinder, you can search for exciting and interesting careers, discover schools in Michigan that offer programs of interest, see detailed job projections, annual openings, growth potential, and salaries for Michigan, as well as view Michigan’s top careers!

ZipRecruiter is a free, leading online employment marketplace and is rated the #1 Job Search app for iPhone and Android. Leveraging AI-powered smart matching technology, ZipRecruiter actively connects millions of employers and job seekers.

Michigan Works! Southwest

Michigan Works! Southwest logo

Jordan Rife, Career Specialist
Phone – (269) 592-2031
Email –

Michigan Works! Southwest is a local agency that develops opportunities with our connections between job seekers and employers. We are available in the following counties: Branch, Calhoun, Kalamazoo and St. Joseph. To learn more, visit our About page.

Michigan Works! staff is available by appointment in Student Services and is here to offer support and services regarding careers and employment.

Employability Skills Enhancement Workshops

Workshops are available to help individuals with their job search. Workshops cover a variety of topics such as interviewing, resume writing, computer basics, utilizing technology, networking and “soft skill” development.

See upcoming and current workshops on our Workshop Calendar.

Career Development Training
Discuss and research potential career development training opportunities with Michigan Works! staff. There are many training programs available. For a full list, please see our Training Opportunities page.

Pure Michigan Talent Connect

Link to hundreds of local and statewide Michigan employers through top of the line labor market exchange system. Post resumes and directly connect to opportunities that align with your skills, talents, and passions.

See the Pure Michigan Talent Connect site to get started.

Are you…

A military veteran?

Please ask the Michigan Works! staff about services available for you. We give veterans priority services as thanks for your service.

Between the ages of 14 and 24 and in need of employment or educational services?

Please ask the Michigan Works! staff for information on Youth Services.

Displaced by employers?

Please ask the Michigan Works! staff about the Adult and Dislocated Workers program for St. Joseph County.

Please call us at (269) 273-7067 for more information.

Counseling Services

Glen Oaks Community College has a licensed counselor on staff as well as a partnership with Covered Bridge Healthcare of St. Joseph County to provide mental health counseling to our students. A counselor is available on Wednesdays from 12:00-2:00 p.m. in the Student Services Office.

Covered Bridge Healthcare serves insured, under-insured, and non-insured patients, and staff specialize in both physical and behavioral treatments. Students may schedule a counseling appointment with any Student Services Staff member or call 269-294-4300 for an appointment.

Advising & Counseling Contacts


Anne Springsteen

  • Position: TRIO Project Director
  • Office Location: Student Services, A54
  • Phone Number: (269) 294-4337
  • Email:
  Anne Springsteen

Benjamin Fries

  • Position: Director of Advising & VA Academic Advisor
  • Office Location: Student Services, A58
  • Phone Number: (269) 294-4271
  • Email:
  Benjamin Fries

Advising Staff

Amber Gerth

  • Position: SSSD Coordinator/Counselor/Academic Advisor
  • Office Location: Student Services, A57
  • Phone Number: (269) 294-4241
  • Email:
  Amber Gerth

Leanne Steward

  • Position: Assistant Director of Financial Aid & Academic Advisor
  • Office Location: Student Services, A60
  • Phone Number: (269) 294-4338
  • Email:
  Leanne Steward

Rachel Templin

  • Position: Student Success & International Student Advisor
  • Office Location: Student Services, A56
  • Phone Number: (269) 294-4328
  • Email:
  Rachel Templin


Hannah Fries

  • Position: TRIO Project Advisor
  • Office Location: Student Services, A51
  • Phone Number: (269) 294-4327
  • Email:
  Hannah Fries

Disability Support Services

Welcome to Glen Oaks Community College Disability Support Services. Our mission is to serve Glen Oaks Community College students with disabilities by providing the necessary services to allow them equal access to all Glen Oaks community College programs and activities. It is our privilege to provide accommodations and services to eligible students, and to serve as an advocate for students with disabilities.

Need to make an appointment for an intake? Contact the Disability Support Services counselor.

How Do I Receive Accomodations?

To receive accommodations at Glen Oaks Community College you need to complete three simple steps:

Available AccomodationsServicesEligibilityFAQ'sLinksRights & Responsibilities

A wide variety of accommodations are available to eligible students, including, but not necessarily limited to:

  • Additional time on quizzes and tests
  • Carbonless notebooks
  • Digital recorders
  • Electronic text books
  • Ergonomic chair
  • Ergonomic keyboard
  • FM sound amplification system
  • Hand-held electronic magnifier
  • Hand-held standard magnifiers
  • Large button calculator
  • Large-screen monitors
  • Learning station modification
  • Note takers
  • Print enlargements
  • Quizzes and tests administered in a reduced-distraction environment

  • Readers for quizzes and tests
  • Record lectures
  • Screen readers
  • Smart pens
  • Special seating arrangement
  • Spelling aids
  • Telephone amplifier
  • Use of an interpreter
  • Use of a scribe
  • Use of a calculator
  • Use of a spell checker on quizzes and tests
  • Use of a word processor on written assignments
  • Voice recognition software
  • Zoom Tech Magnification and Screen Reading Machine

There are many services available to students with documented disabilities who are registered with the Disability Support Services office at Glen Oaks Community College.

Below is a partial listing of available services:
Academic Advising

The Disability Support Services counselor is available to assist students with documented disabilities with developing a schedule, and registering for their classes.


A wide range of accommodations are available, depending on the student’s disability and documentation.

Adaptive Equipment

Adaptive equipment is available to eligible students with documented disabilities. Stop by the Disability Support Services office for more details.


Although self-advocacy is a very important responsibility for disabled students, the Disability Support Services office exists to advocate on the student’s behalf with Glen Oaks Community College faculty, staff, and with the community at large.

Assistance with Organizational Skills

One of the things that is essential to success in college is being organized, and therefore able to track and meet all of your responsibilities. The Disability Support Services office can help you to learn and effectively use these important skills.

Auxiliary Aids

A Wide range of auxiliary aids are available, depending on the student’s disability and documentation.

Career Counseling

Career counseling is available for all Glen Oaks Community College students. The Disability Support Services counselor can help disabled students with their unique challenges in selecting and training for a rewarding career.

Documentation of the Existence of Disability to Instructors

Although the Disability Support Services does not disclose specific disabilities, they can, with the student’s permission, confirm to instructors that the student is disabled and is registered with the Disability Support Services office.

Referral to Community Agencies

The Disability Support Services office has referral information for a number of local community agencies and can assist the student by making a referral to these agencies as needed.

Supplemental Financial Support

Students who are eligible to participate in the Occupational Student Success Program may be eligible for supplemental financial support to pay for any tuition, fees or books not covered by free financial aid, and to pay for costs associated with childcare. You must be pursuing an approved occupational program to be eligible for this assistance.

Transitions/College Success Strategies

The Disability Support Services office can help the students make the sometimes difficult transition from high school to college.


The Disability Support Services office will help the student troubleshoot problems related to their disability and how it impacts their experience at Glen Oaks Community College.

Who is Eligible to Receive Services?

The provision of disability services in post-secondary education is mandated by two major federal laws: Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and as amended in 2009, and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act, 1973.

The Americans with Disabilities Act defines a person with a disability as: “Any person who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment.” The Americans with Disabilities Act as amended in 2009 adds “Major Bodily Functions” to “Major Life Activities” in the definition of a person with a disability.

The Americans with Disabilities Act specifically requires that: “No otherwise qualified individual with a disability shall, solely by reason of his/her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity of a public entity.” An otherwise qualified individual is defined as being an person who: “Meets the academic and technical standards requisite to admission or participation with or without reasonable modifications to rules, policies or practices; removal of architectural, communication or transportation barriers; or provision of auxiliary aids and services.”

Accommodations are intended to prevent discrimination against students with disabilities by providing equal access to all of the educational programs, co-curricular activities, and services of a post-secondary institution. Accommodations must be effective (producing the intended or expected effect), but they must not be preferential, and they may not discriminate against non-disabled students.

Keeping all of this in mind, we may now answer the question: “Who is eligible to receive services?”

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to disclose my disability?

No. However, if you do not disclose your disability to the Disability Support Services office, you will not receive any accommodations or services.

Am I required to use all of my accommodations?

No. You may use any, all, or none of your accommodations for any of your classes. The decision is entirely yours.

Are disabled students held to the same behavioral standards as everyone else?

Yes. All Glen Oaks Community College students are required to abide by the Student Code of Conduct. Threatening or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated by any Glen Oaks Community College student.

Are your services confidential?


Does Glen Oaks provide personal attendants?

No. Personal attendants are not provided at the post-secondary level.

How soon should I request accommodations?

The sooner the better. Some accommodations take time to arrange and the Disability Support Services office requests that request for accommodations be made as early as reasonably possible.

Is there a charge to receive services?


May I appeal a decision of the Disability Support Services office?

Yes. Appeals should be directed to the Glen Oaks Community College Civil Rights Coordinator.

May I receive accommodations retroactively?

Never. That is why it is so important to arrange for accommodations as early as possible.

May I receive accommodations without going through the Disability Support Services office?

No. An integral part of determining eligibility for accommodations is receiving and reviewing documentation of disability. Only the Disability Support Services office is equipped to do this.

What are the characteristics of ideal disability documentation?

Ideally, disability documentation should be as recent as possible, should include a diagnosis of disability made by a professional qualified to make the diagnosis, should request specific accommodations, should connect the requested accommodations to the disability, and should be on professional letterhead.

What should I do if an instructor refuses to grant my accommodations?

Be respectful and do not argue with the instructor. Inform the Disability Support Services office as soon as possible. It is their job to serve as your advocate and they will work with you and the instructor to resolve the situation.

Why are the accommodations I receive at Glen Oaks different than those I received in high school?

After a student graduates from high school, they are no longer under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). They continue to be protected, however, by Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

The overall orientation of IDEA is success. The overall orientation of ADA and Section 504 is to protect disabled students from being discriminated against by providing them equal access to all programs and activities. The differences in underlying law may result in a difference in services and accommodations provided.
Accommodations at the college level are not designed to give students with disabilities advantages over non-disabled students. Rather, accommodations should “level the playing field” so disabled students are not discriminated against based on their disability and are able to compete equally with non-disabled students. Any accommodation that gives a disabled student an advantage over a non-disabled student, or any accommodation that requires fundamental alteration of the core intent and content of a course, is not allowed.

What is the first thing I need to do if I wish to receive services?

Schedule an intake. You may do so by contacting the Student Support Specialist via their Contact Form or by calling 269-294-4241.

Please review the following rights and responsibilities of students with disabilities, the faculty, and the Office of Disability Support Services:


As a student at Glen Oaks Community College with a documented disability you have the right to…

  • Not be discriminated against based on your disability
  • Reasonable and effective accommodations
  • Have all verbal and written disability information provided to the Disability Support Services office treated in a confidential manner
  • Expect the Disability Support Services office advocate for your needs
  • Appeal decisions of the Disability Support Services office

As a student at Glen Oaks Community College with a documented disability you have the responsibility to…

  • Self-identify to the Disability Support Services office
  • Provide appropriate documentation of disability as a condition of receiving accommodations
  • Advocate for yourself
  • Seek reasonable accommodations only through the Disability Support Services office
  • Make requests for accommodations early
  • Notify the Disability Support Services office of problems you are experiencing with respect to receiving accommodations
  • Provide your own personal aid, if necessary
  • Report your special needs and concerns to faculty as early as reasonably possible
  • Meet all of the academic requirements of the class with or without accommodations


Faculty at Glen Oaks Community College has the right to…

  • Require verification of a student’s disabled status from the Disability Support Services office
  • Uphold the academic integrity of their class
  • Insist that all quizzes and tests administered outside of the classroom be administered in a secure manner

Faculty at Glen Oaks Community College has the responsibility to…

  • Maintain confidentiality with respect to the disabled status of your students
  • Talk with your disabled students privately about what you may do to accommodate their unique needs
  • Include a statement in your syllabus to disabled students about receiving services from the Disability Support Services office
  • Act immediately on official accommodation request that come through the Disability Support Services office
  • Only provide accommodations to students who go through the Disability Support Services office
  • As much as possible, follow the principles of Universal Design in the presentation of class material
  • Assure that all material presented in class, including all media, is in an accessible format
  • Not ask a student if they are disabled
  • Identify the essential functions, abilities, skills, and knowledge of your class
  • Notify the Disability Support Services office if you disagree with or are having difficulty meeting accommodation requests

Disability Support Services

Glen Oaks Community College Disability Support Services has the right to…

  • Receive appropriate documentation for accommodation requests in a timely manner
  • Expect the student to work cooperatively with the Disability Support Services office and faculty in providing appropriate services and accommodations
  • Deny accommodation requests that would result in eliminating or reducing the core intent or academic content of a class
  • Deny unreasonable, undocumented, or insufficiently documented accommodation requests

Glen Oaks Community College Disability Support Services has the responsibility to…

  • Provide disabled students with equal access to all educational and co-curricular programs, services and activities of Glen Oaks Community College
  • Provide reasonable and effective accommodations to eligible students
  • Maintain all verbal and written disability information provided to the Disability Support Services office in a confidential manner
  • Advocate for disabled students with faculty and Glen Oaks Community College as a whole
  • Assist disabled students in clearly identifying their strengths and functional limitations
  • Clearly communicate standards and expectations to both students and faculty

International Students

Due to COVID-19 pandemic and changing regulations, please contact the International Student Advisor immediately if you are interested in attending Glen Oaks. See the Study in the States website for additional COVID-19 Guidance.

Thank you for your interest in Glen Oaks Community College. GOCC is a small, rural community college in Southwest Michigan with an enrollment of about 1,500 students.

International students usually live in apartments or private homes in one of the nearby communities, so reliable transportation is a necessity.

Helpful Tips for International Students
What are some basic tips?

  • Begin the application process early. We recommend that you complete the application process by the following deadlines: Fall semester – March 1; Winter semester – August 1, and Spring semester – January 1.
  • Please check that you have provided all required documents, either through Etrieve or via e-mail to . Applications will not be processed until all materials are received. See above for application process.
  • International students are expected to provide all funding for any possible expenses they may incur. Expenses include but are not limited to: tuition, books, fees, housing, food, transportation, entertainment, travel, insurance, and miscellaneous incidentals. Financial aid is not available to international students. Tuition, fees and other expenses are subject to change.
  • As required by USCIS, all F-1 students must maintain their status by enrolling in at least 12 credit hours of college courses for Winter and Fall semesters and by making progress toward completion of their program. Enrollment in the spring/summer semester is usually optional. You must maintain your status to be eligible for F-1 benefits, such as employment authorization, vacation periods, approval to re-enter the country after visits abroad, and approval to transfer to another school.
  • Your passport should always be valid for at least 6 months at all times. If it is close to expiration, please call or visit your embassy for details on renewing as soon as possible. Visit the website to find the nearest embassy.

What do I need to know about Glen Oaks?

  • Glen Oaks is a small, rural community college located in Southwest Michigan, with an enrollment of about 1,500 students.
  • Public transportation may be available through the local county transportation authority for a fee. Costs and dates/times of service vary. Students are responsible for their own transportation and any expenses associated with transportation.
  • Students are responsible for their housing arrangements. Student housing is available on campus at Glen Oaks (Devier Student Suites). A separate housing application is available on the Glen Oaks website at Students may also live off campus in an apartment or private home in one of the nearby communities. All students need to make provisions for living arrangements prior to arriving at Glen Oaks.
  • The climate in Southwestern Michigan varies from 37.8 C in the summer to -17.8 C in the winter.
  • Nearby communities are Three Rivers and Sturgis, both located about a 20 minute drive away, with grocery stores, pharmacies, movie theaters, restaurants and some shopping. Larger cities like Kalamazoo, MI or South Bend, IN are about an hour’s drive away and have a larger selection of shopping, entertainment, restaurants, sporting events and more.

How do I apply?

  1. Complete International Application online through Etrieve (includes the Notice of Regulations/Privacy Release, Questionnaire, Financial Statement and English Proficiency). Attach all required documents through Etrieve or e-mail to the International Student Advisor at
    • Official secondary school transcripts (translated to English) documenting that educational background is equivalent to a high school diploma or higher
    • TOEFL scores or other English proficiency scores
    • Official bank statement showing sufficient support
    • Proof of US Address (lease, deed, Student Housing Agreement, or Statement of Local Sponsor Providing Room and Board)
    • Proof of Medical Insurance
    • Copy of Current Passport with Photo
  2. If a local sponsor will be supporting you financially and/or with free room and board, please return the following forms to the International Student Advisor after the sponsor has completed them. All forms for sponsors are located on the Glen Oaks Website on the Advising/International Student page.
    1. Statement of Local Sponsor Providing Room and Board
    2. Financial Statement for International Student’s Local Sponsor
  3. If you are transferring to Glen Oaks from another post-secondary US institution, please return the following form to the International Student Advisor after the previous institution has completed the form. All transfer forms are located on the Glen Oaks Website on the Advising/International Student page.
    1. Transfer Report Authorization form
    2. Copy of 1-20 from the previous institution
    3. Contact all previous post-secondary institutions and request that an official transcript be mailed directly to Glen Oaks
  4. If you would like to authorize a personal representative, please complete the FERPA Release Form online through Etrieve. Completing this form allows Glen Oaks to release your school information to your designee. You will be able to complete this form once your application has been processed and you have been accepted.
  5. Complete an Application for Admission to Glen Oaks. You will need to complete the PDF version of the application PDF icon. Please mail the application to the Admissions Office at Glen Oaks or send it via e-mail to Admission to the college will be determined only after the International Application is complete and all necessary documents are received.

How do I know if I am accepted?

If accepted, the student will receive a letter of acceptance and a Form I-20 in the mail. After you have received the Form I-20, you will need to make an appointment with the nearest US Embassy to apply for an F-1 student visa. It is important to bring along all documentation with you to the appointment, including the I-20, all application materials and receipt of the I-901 SEVIS Fee payment.

You will need to submit the following to the International Student Advisor before you travel to the US:

  • Current passport with photo and updated visa

I’m in the US – Now what?

International students MUST meet with the International Student Advisor as soon as possible after arrival (within two weeks) in order to maintain their F-1 status. At this meeting, you will be required to present:

  • Proof of F-1 status (copies of I-94 card, visa, and passport page with photograph, dates of issue and passport expiration date, and a signed copy of I-20)

Glen Oaks requires all newly admitted students to attend a New Student Orientation program, which is held prior to the beginning of the semester.

Students must take the Accuplacer Placement Exam in the Tutoring & Testing Center before registering for classes. When completed, take scores to the International Student Advisor to schedule and register for classes. Payment is due in full at the time of registration. Payment can be accomplished by cash, check, credit card or a payment plan through the Business Office.

With the approval and permission of the International Student Advisor, students may be permitted to adjust their schedule during the first week of the semester.

How do I maintain my F-1 status?

In order to continue studying in the US and maintain their F-1 status, students must be enrolled for at least 12 credits each semester, unless approved by USCIS for extenuating circumstances, and be making progress towards their degree. Please contact the International Student Advisor for more information.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the International Student Advisor of any program, course, name, address, phone or other changes within 10 days of the change.

Work is strictly prohibited unless approved by USCIS. Work opportunities are very limited for F-1 students. Employment without prior approval is grounds for immediate termination of F-1 status. Please see the International Student Advisor for more information on employment, as well as the Study in the States website or the ICE website.

If you are planning to travel outside of the US while in F-1 status, you must see the International Student Advisor to see if/when you qualify for travel and to make arrangements. It is important to have all required documents up-to-date and on your person when you travel outside of the US.


SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) manages schools and students that are involved in international education in the US. It authorizes schools to admit F or M nonimmigrant students and provides guidance for students on how to maintain their status.

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is the web-based system used to track and monitor F, M and J nonimmigrants while they study in the US. Students are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before a visa will be issued. You will need to take your I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt with you to your visa interview. See more information on the I-901 SEVIS Fee at the Study in the States website.

Where can I find more info?

The best resource for students is the International Student Advisor at their school or the Study in the States website. Students may also contact SEVP directly at 703-603-3400 or email (response times depend on office hours) for general or case-specific questions.

It is crucial that students communicate any concerns or questions with the International Student Advisor as soon as possible. Please contact the International Student Advisor via the contact form on this webpage or or you may call (269)294-4328. In the case of an emergency, please contact the International Student Advisor by phone and e-mail to receive a faster response.

IMPORTANT: You will be considered for admission to Glen Oaks Community College when your application packet is complete. An I-20 will be issued to all students who meet the international entrance qualifications. The I-20 can be used to secure a visa stamp which allows travel to the USA for the purpose of college study.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Rachel Templin via her Contact Form, by phone at (269)294-4328, or toll free at (888)994-7818 ext-271.

Student Success Program

OSSP students may be eligible for:
  • Financial Assistance for Tuition, Books,
    & Fees
  • Special Equipment
  • Financial Assistance for Childcare
  • Emergency Transportation Assistance
  • Academic Advising
  • Personal Counseling Referrals
  • Career Exploration & Counseling
  • Career Workshops
  • Referral Services
  • Registration & Admissions Support
  • Peer Support
  • Tutoring

The Occupational Student Success Program (OSSP) is open to all Special Population students. Students who are eligible to participate in OSSP may be eligible for supplemental financial support to pay for any tuition, fees or books not covered by free financial aid and to pay for costs associated with childcare. Emergency transportation vouchers and bus passes are also available to OSSP participants. Any interested student must apply via Etrieve to be considered for OSSP.

Students wanting to apply for financial benefits must be accepted into OSSP, meet with Rachel Templin (OSSP Coordinator) to complete a Request for Funding form, and provide any additional, required documentation as requested. A completed FAFSA must be on file with the Financial Aid Office each year OSSP funds are requested.

A comprehensive list of possible accommodations for students with disabilities is available upon request. Students requesting consideration for accommodations must provide appropriate documentation and meet with the Disability Support Counselor, Amber Gerth.

Special Population Students
A Special Populations Student is a person who, through a formal assessment, has been deemed as being one of the following:

  • Out-of-workforce Individual
  • Homeless individual
  • Individual with disability
  • Individual from an economically disadvantaged family, including low-income youth and adults
  • Individual preparing for non-traditional fields
  • Single parents, including single pregnant women
  • Youth who are in, or who have aged out of, the foster care system
  • Youth with a parent who is an armed forces member and is on active duty
  • Individual with other barriers to educational achievement, including individual with limited English proficiency

Eligible Occupational Programs

  • Associate of Applied Science in Agricultural Operations
  • Associate of Applied Science in Technology
  • Associate of Applied Science in Computer Networking
  • Associate of Applied Science in Business
  • Associate of Applied Science in Allied Health
  • Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
  • Associate of Applied Science in Nursing
  • Associate of Arts in Visual Arts: Graphic Design
  • Accounting Certificate
  • Management/Marketing Certificate
  • Computer Information Systems
  • Network Administration Certificate
  • Computer Support Technician Certificate
  • Health Care Worker Certificate
  • Electrical Technology Certificate
  • Welding Certificate
  • Computer Aided Drafting and Design (CADD) Certificate
  • Automotive Technician Certificate
  • Machine Tool Certificate
  • Coding Specialist
  • Medical Administrative Specialist Certificate
  • Medical Assistant Certificate
  • Phlebotomy Technician Certificate

Financial Assistance
Childcare ScholarshipSpecial Populations Grant

OSSP Childcare
Scholarship Opportunity

Financial Assistance to Pay Cost Associated with Childcare for Parenting Students

Students participating in the Occupational Student Success Program at Glen Oaks Community College who have children that require childcare while in attending classes may apply for MSPCC Scholarship. The MSPCC Scholarship is designed to help pay for the cost of childcare for eligible parenting students.
Scholarship FAQ’s
Who may apply?

  • All applicants must be enrolled in an approved occupational degree or certificate program, or be enrolled in a non-degree program with a defined occupational objective (i.e. completing prerequisites for entrance into the nursing program) at Glen Oaks Community College.
  • All applicants must be the parent(s)/legal guardian of a child(ren) enrolled at, and incur child care expenses from an approved childcare provider. All applicants must be Pell eligible. This demonstrates financial need for this subsidy.
  • All applicants must have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current financial aid year.
  • All applicants must be U.S. citizens and permanent residents. If you are neither a citizen, nor eligible non-citizen, you are not eligible for this federally funded subsidy program.
  • All applicants must utilize child care services because they are single or have a spouse/domestic partner who is either a student, employed/looking for employment outside the home (for a minimum of 30 hours per week) or disabled. You may be asked to document your spouse/partner’s student status, employment, or disability.

How do I apply for Childcare Assistance?

  • Submit a completed OSSP MSPCC Application Form via Etrieve
  • A copy or proof of your completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current financial aid year ; and
  • A copy or proof of your most recent Federal 1040, 1040 A or 1040 EZ federal tax form or proof of other income sources
  • If you are a Department of Human Services (DHS) or Work First child care subsidy recipient, include the most recent documentation received from DHS or Work First. If you do not receive funding from DHS or Work First, pleas e apply for childcare assistance at your area Department of Human Services. Include the decision notice from DHS with your application for verification.

How much will I receive?

  • The scholarship program operates on a percentage basis. Funding is not guaranteed each semester.
  • Families awarded the scholarship will not receive reimbursement for childcare payments. All funding is paid directly to the childcare provider.
  • All scholarship recipients may be required to pay a small co-pay to cover the total amount charged by their childcare provider.
  • Families, who have an overdue balance with their current childcare center, will NOT be awarded a subsidy until the overdue amount is paid.

How could I lose Childcare Assistance funding?

  • Loss of funding from the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Making false statements or reporting untrue circumstances.
  • Withdrawal from all classes at any time during the semester.
  • Withdrawal from Glen Oaks Community College.
  • Failure to pay your co-pay.
  • Withdrawal of your child from your childcare center.
  • Upon graduation from Glen Oaks Community College.

When should I apply for Childcare Assistance?
Please contact Rachel Templin regarding available funding & deadlines.
What happens after I apply?

  • Applications are reviewed by the OSSP Coordinator.
  • Financial information on each applicant is obtained from Glen Oaks Community College Student Financial Assistance Office, based upon FAFSA information.
  • Factors taken into account when deciding awards include, but are not limited to the expected family contribution, annual income, number of credits you are enrolled in, number of children, amount of childcare expenses and time required to complete your degree or certificate.
  • Student families are contacted through e-mail regarding the status of their application. Students may be asked to submit further documentation before awarding.
  • Award letters, detailing the scholarship amount, amount of your co- pay, time period covered, and the responsibilities of the scholarship recipients, are e-mailed to the student.

OSSP Michigan Special
Populations Grant Application Guidelines
  • You must be enrolled in an approved occupational program or course(s)
  • You must fit one or more of the following Special Populations categories
  • You are required to apply for federal financial aid (FAFSA) each financial aid year
  • Grants are based on availability of funds. According to federal guidelines, those with the greatest need will be given priority.
  • Academic progress eligibility requires that students successfully complete 75% of registered classes with a 2.0 GPA or higher to receive the grant.
  • All applicants must have completed an Accuplacer test, provided ACT scores and/or the Strong Interest Inventory career assessment may be required.
  • According to Federal guidelines, those with the greatest financial need will be given priority

Please contact Rachel Templin, OSSP Coordinator, for funding availability, application, and deadline!

Glen Oaks Community College is an equal opportunity institution and adheres to a policy that no qualified person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, marital status or disability in any program or activity for which it is responsible.


The TRIO Student Support Services (TRIO SSS) program assists participants who are first-generation college students, meet income-eligibility requirements, and/or have a documented disability.

Based on each student’s needs and goals, TRIO SSS provides services to help participants reach their full personal, academic, and career potential. The program also offers the social and cultural experiences that are an important part of a well-rounded college education. Our wish is to help students recognize their strengths, develop their skills, and achieve their goals.

TRIO SSS is all about student success. As a TRIO SSS scholar, you will learn to…
  • Make use of effective success strategies
  • Set and pursue individual goals
  • Develop a professional and personal network of support
TRIO StudentsEligibilityFAQ'sScholarships

Why Should I Be a TRIO Student?

What are the perks of being an TRIO SSS participant? TRIO SSS helps students adjust to and succeed in college by providing comprehensive assistance through the following FREE services and programs:
Individualized Academic Advising & Planning

Advising is provided to help students focus and direct academic efforts toward their chosen area of interest as well as potential career goals. This advising includes:

  • Development of an Individual Education Plan to cultivate the most effective path toward graduation and transfer.
  • Assistance with planning each semester’s class schedule based on student’s degree requirements and interests.
  • Online registration instruction.
  • Strategies for maintaining and improving grade point average (GPA)

Priority Registration

Priority registration allows TRIO SSS participants to register for classes ahead of the general GOCC population in an attempt to allow you to develop the best possible schedule for success.
Educational Workshops

TRIO SSS holds on-campus and online workshops on a variety of topics including time management, test and note-taking skills, transfer planning, job search skills, stress management, budgeting and financial literacy. Some workshops are also available online.
Cultural Events and Volunteer Activities

Participants will have the opportunity to take advantage of a variety of enrichment activities, cultural events, and student development. TRIO SSS hosts multiple activities and events that give you the option to volunteer your time.
4-Year College Visits and Transfer Assistance

Visit area four-year colleges and universities with a group of your TRIO SSS peers and staff to learn about the transfer process, academic programs, admissions requirements, transfer scholarships and more. Develop a personalized transfer plan.

TRIO SSS offers competitive scholarships every semester which are available to eligible, active students. For applications, eligibility criteria, and due dates, contact TRIO SSS staff in Student Services.
Career Advising

Staff will explore with each student trends in employment, areas of interest, students’ skills, and prospective career paths and help develop a plan to reach each student’s career goals. Participants will have access to in-depth career assessments, including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory.
Personal Support

TRIO SSS advisors strive to develop meaningful, supportive relationships with their students and offer a safe, accepting place to discuss options, opportunities, and possibilities.
Referral to GOCC and Community Resources

TRIO SSS staff are knowledgeable about area social services and on-campus resources (for needs like food assistance, shelter, childcare, healthcare, personal counseling, etc.) and can provide appropriate referrals and contact information.
Individualized Tutoring

TRIO SSS participants (like all GOCC students) are eligible for free one-on-one or small group tutoring in a variety of academic disciplines through the Glen Oaks Tutoring and Testing Center. The tutoring staff consists of trained GOCC students who have successfully completed the courses for which they are tutoring.

Am I Eligible?

TRIO SSS programs are designed to serve college students who meet specific program requirements. To be eligible for admission to GOCC’s TRIO SSS program, students must be a U.S. citizen or meet residency requirements for federal student financial assistance, accepted to GOCC, a high school graduate or have completed a GED, and have a need for academic support. Additionally, students must meet at least one​ of the following criteria:
Low-Income Student:
Each year, the U.S. Department of Education publishes income guidelines which define students’ income status based on family size and taxable income.
First-Generation College Student:
First-generation college students are defined as students whose biological or adoptive parents did not receive a 4-year college degree.
Student with Documented Disability/Disabilities:
A student who has a documented disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) Act.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I join TRIO SSS?

We provide outstanding individualized support with many great services that are FREE OF CHARGE for students in our program– priority registration for TRIO SSS students, scholarships available to TRIO SSS students, personal counseling, visits to four-year transfer institutions and cultural enrichment trips, among many others. By utilizing our services and resources, you will be more likely to achieve your educational goals.
What is the process for being accepted as a TRIO SSS student?

After you turn in your completed TRIO SSS application, the Director will process it. If deemed eligible for services, you will be contacted via phone by a TRIO SSS Advisor to set an appointment for an intake appointment.
What will I be required to do?

Once you’ve applied to the program, you will be required to attend a TRIO intake appointment with your assigned TRIO SSS Advisor. You will also be required to meet with your advisor at least once per semester for academic advising and course planning.
I have not graduated from high school yet, can I participate in the TRIO SSS program?

Dual enrollment students can complete a TRIO SSS application in the last half of their senior year to be considered for a Fall semester spot in the program. Early Middle College students are invited to apply to TRIO SSS following their thirteenth year if they plan to continue attending GOCC to complete a degree.
If I apply and am accepted, do I have to re-apply each semester?

No, if you apply to TRIO SSS and have been accepted, there is usually no need to re-apply. However, if you do not take classes in a Fall semester, then you will need to re-apply. Your re-admission will be determined by the TRIO SSS Director.
How much time does it take to participate in the TRIO SSS program?

This is up to you—it can take as little as one (1) face-to-face contact per semester or several hours each week. You decide which services to utilize and how involved you want to be.
If my TRIO SSS advisor is not available, to whom do I turn for assistance?

If you have an immediate issue that needs to be addressed, please see any TRIO SSS staff member for assistance, as we are all happy to help all TRIO SSS students.
Does it cost money to join TRIO SSS?

No, everything in the program is FREE to TRIO SSS participants!
How many people are in the TRIO SSS program and what are they like?

Each year, the TRIO SSS program serves 144 Glen Oaks students. They are all ages and from all walks of life. Most of the students work part-time, some full-time, and many are heads of households that include dependent children. When it comes to academic achievement, our students earn a wide range of grades from 4.0’s each semester to others struggling to pass their classes. Basically, the TRIO SSS students are JUST LIKE YOU, so stop in a grab an application today!
Do I have to attend all the workshops?

No, workshops are not mandatory. However they do provide helpful information and skills that can be utilized throughout your college career and beyond. Attending at least one workshop (on-campus or on-line) a semester is required to be eligible for our TRIO SSS Scholars Award scholarship.
Am I eligible for a TRIO SSS scholarship?

In order to be eligible for a TRIO SSS scholarship, students must be active in the program each semester as evidenced by at least one (1) in-office meeting with program staff and participation in at least one (1) TRIO SSS-approved workshop, maintain a 2.0 GPA, must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at GOCC, and be registered for the semester the scholarship is awarded. Additional requirements for eligibility apply. See a TRIO SSS staff member for more information.
Since TRIO SSS is a federally funded program, does that affect my financial aid?

No, being a member of TRIO SSS does not affect your financial aid.

TRIO Scholars Award

Only TRIO SSS students are eligible for these scholarships, which are awarded as funding allows each semester on a competitive basis. To be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet ALL of the following criteria by the scholarship application deadline:

  • Must be a current TRIO SSS participant
  • Must have completed a minimum of twelve (12) credits at GOCC and be registered for at least three (3) credits in the upcoming semester
  • Have participated in at least one (1) contact with TRIO staff during the previous semester of attendance (i.e. intake, academic advising, career advising, etc.)
  • Participated in at least one (1) TRIO SSS on-campus/on-line workshop or have met with TRIO staff to complete a make-up workshop during the previous semester of attendance
  • Currently have and maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • Have fully completed the application and all required documents/projects (see application packet for details).
  • Submit the application packet by the deadline listed on the application
Applications are released at least one (1) month prior to the application deadline (toward the end of each semester). Applications can be requested from any TRIO SSS staff.

“TRIO SSS is federally funded at 100% by the U.S. Dept. of Education in the amount of $242,136 for the 2018-2019 year.”

Veterans Services

Glen Oaks Community College participates in the Veteran-Friendly School program. The Veteran-Friendly School program, created by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency, recognizes institutions of higher learning for their dedication to student veterans and dependents utilizing their GI Bill® and other educational benefits.

Some of the criteria schools were ranked on included having an active student-operated veterans club or association; veteran-specific career services or advising; on-campus veteran’s coordinator and awarding credit based on prior military training and experience. Information about the criteria Glen Oaks met to achieve its ranking is available at the Michigan Veterans website.

First-Time ApplicantsTransfer ApplicantsMax HoursEach SemesterReporting Changes

  1. Complete an Application for Benefits online.
  2. Submit to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office a certified copy of your DD-214 (veterans) or an original DD Form 2384 – Notice of Basic Eligibility (reserves); and
  3. For Chapter 33 (post 9/11) only – you will need to provide to the Glen Oaks Financial Aid Office a copy of the “Letter of Eligibility” with the percentage the VA will pay. Your following semester will not be certified without this document;
  4. Submit copies of training completion certificates to the Glen Oaks Registration Office (all military training received by the veteran must be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office for college credit). See Evaluation of Transfer Credits to Glen Oaks, Educational Experience in the Armed Forces;
  5. Request a military transcript online.
  6. Request official grade transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Transcripts must be received directly from the previously attended college to the Glen Oaks Registration Office.

If the student has received Veterans Benefits for attendance at another college, he/she must:

  1. Complete the VA Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training;
  2. Request official grade transcripts from all colleges previously attended. Transcripts must be received directly from the previously attended college to Glen Oaks Registration Office.

Veterans may be certified for a maximum of 62 hours (the exception being the prior approval of a change of program by the Veterans Administration). This includes any credits earned for military courses training, attendance at other institutions, CLEP scores, etc. accepted for credit at Glen Oaks.

Students who plan to use Veteran Benefits must take the following actions each semester:

  1. Complete the Request for VA Certification form.
  2. Enroll* in the Nelnet (FACTS) Deferred Payment Plan for Veterans

    *The following information will be required for enrollment:

    • GOCC 7 Digit Student ID#
    • Date of Birth
    • Semester Enrolled
    • Form of Payment (checking/savings or credit card)
You may contact the Glen Oaks Cashier at 269-294-4235 or via their Contact Form to confirm your deferred payment as a VA student.

Recipients of Veterans Benefits are to notify the Registration Office immediately if any of the changes below apply:

  1. Changes in training programs or credit hour class load; and/or
  2. Withdrawals/Incompletes from Glen Oaks Community College.
Veterans may be held liable for any over-payment of benefits as the result of failure to report such changes.
Note: Veterans Certification – Veterans are certified after the semester refund period, if all documentation has been received, and you have met with the VA counselor. Early certification is only done upon written request to the School Certifying Office. It usually takes 6-8 weeks before benefits are received. Some benefits are mailed directly to the veteran and it is his/her responsibility to make payment to Glen Oaks.

Please see the college’s Consumer Information Guide for information on Cost of Attendance, which includes estimated costs of tuition, fees, books/supplies, transportation, etc.
Veteran Academic Advisor

It is encouraged for you to meet with the VA Academic Advisor before you schedule your classes.

Please note: Classes that are not required for your program of study cannot be certified.

Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency - Silver Level logo

Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 Press 1

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).