Frequently Asked Housing Questions

Here you will find answers to some of our most common housing questions. If you have other questions or issues not addressed below, please submit them to the Housing Office via our Contact Form.

You must be a full-time student (12 credits in Fall and Winter semesters; 6 credits in Summer), maintain a 2.0 GPA and be 18 years old or older by the end of the first semester of residency in the building.

The college offers both two and four-bedroom suite options.

  • Two Bedroom Suite – Fall and Winter: $3100/term; Summer: $2800/term (Cost is per person)
  • Four Bedroom Suite – Fall and Winter: $2800/term; Summer: $2500/term (Cost is per person)

You do not need to know someone to fill out an application or sign a Housing Agreement to live on campus. We match you with other students who are also looking for suite mates. It is a great way to meet people and make new friends.

Students who live on campus automatically qualify for in-district tuition.

In addition, research from The American Council on Education shows students who reside on campus:

  • Report a higher satisfaction with their college experience.
  • Are more likely to succeed in college and complete their degree.
  • Are more likely to achieve and maintain a higher grade point average (GPA).
  • Have a positive self-image, with enhanced self-confidence, public speaking ability and self-reliance.
  • Participate in more extracurricular activities (a factor especially important to recruiters in the job search process).

Other national studies show students who live on campus:

  • Develop relationships with a diverse population of people.
  • Are exposed to a wider range of ideas and cultures.
  • Develop stronger interpersonal and communication skills.
  • Are involved in campus leadership, organizations and activities.
  • Have more contact with faculty and staff members.

There are a limited number of beds available. Your space in housing is only reserved after the Housing Office has received your application, approved the background check, received the $75 administrative fee, and received your Housing Agreement. The Housing Agreement becomes legally binding on both parties when the Housing Office receives your signed Housing Agreement and countersigns it.

Although the application will be submitted online, payment must be submitted via check or credit card through the Cashier’s Office. Transactions using a debit or credit card will be assessed a 2.75% service fee. If you are sending a check, please mail it with your background check release form to the Cashier’s Office, Glen Oaks Community College, 62249 Shimmel Road, Centreville, MI 49032. If you’d prefer to pay via credit card, please call (269) 294-4235. Financial aid may not be used to cover the administrative fee.

Housing staff members will reside in the community, including a manager and Resident Assistants. These employees will be available at various times to help residents and provide activities throughout your residency.

The four-bedroom/two-bathroom suite is approximately 1,000 square feet of living area shared between the four residents. Each person has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the space – living room, kitchen and bathrooms. The two-bedroom/one-bathroom apartment is approximately 500 square feet of living space shared between the two residents. Each person has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the space – living room, kitchen and bathroom.

The building was built and designed with necessary components to provide a comfortable living experience. A key card access system is employed at the main entry of the building, and no one may enter the community without a resident access card. Residents’ key cards also provide secure access to their suites and individual bedrooms. Closed-circuit security cameras are located throughout the building and at access points.

Residents will be able to take advantage of wireless connections in every room and throughout the building.

If a student is attending Glen Oaks Community College (GOCC), any financial aid (i.e. grants, loans, scholarships, etc.) remaining after GOCC tuition and fees are paid will go toward paying the student housing cost. This cost will be reflected on the student’s GOCC bill. Any portion of the housing costs that is not paid by financial aid will be an out-of-pocket cost for the student. For additional information regarding financial aid, please call the Financial Aid Office 269-294-4260.

Resident rooms will have a twin bed, desk and chair, chest of drawers, built-in closets, individually controlled heat and air-conditioning, and wi-fi. The shared living space will have a sofa, coffee table, end table, controllable heat and air-conditioning, and wi-fi. Kitchens have: upper and lower cabinets, counter top, full-size refrigerator, microwave, stove and oven. In addition to a shower and toilet, bathrooms include: vanities, under sink storage and full mirrors above the vanity.

While furniture and appliances are included, we recommend students bring the following items with them: shower curtain, liner, hooks, bath mat, towels & rags, toiletries, pots & pans, cooking utensils, plates, glasses & silverware, garbage can, small appliances (i.e. blender, toaster, etc.), television, and bed linens (twin).

Candles (open flames) or incense, hot plates or open flames, flammable liquids, double sided tape, duct tape, sticky tac, contact paper, wallpaper, molly bolts, anchors, etc., paint, weapons, illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia, fireworks, grills (charcoal, electric, or gas), and torchiere lamps with halogen bulbs.

No, GOCC Student Housing is not pet friendly. Exceptions are made for service/emotional support animals. Please contact the Support Services for Students with Disabilities Office at 269-294-4242 for more information if you will be bringing a service/emotional support animal with you.

Safety is a top priority at GOCC. Everyone who moves into housing receives a background check. Results of the background check are thoroughly reviewed before a student is allowed to live in student housing. A release form for the background check will be emailed to you after submitting the housing application.

Offenses that result as ineligible for housing include, but are not limited to:

  • Misdemeanors within the past 6 months of the date of the housing application
  • Multiple misdemeanors
  • Assault, including any form of assault conviction
  • Narcotics/illegal drugs
  • Theft
  • All Felonies, unless conviction is over 10 years old
  • The following felonies result in ineligibility regardless of when it was committed:
    • Aggravated Felonies: All aggravated felony convictions that resulted in a death, aggravated assault, aggravated robbery, aggravated sexual assault or the delivery of or possession of a felony amount of narcotics.
    • All aggravated felony convictions set forth above that were for attempted crimes or conspiracy to commit these crimes.
    • Any felony convictions for crimes related to sexual assault, any felony of a sexual nature, arson, injury to a child, indecency with a child, manslaughter, or possession of child pornography.
  • These are standards and shall result in the denial of any application and shall make the applicant ineligible for housing at Glen Oaks Community College.
  • If an applicant is arrested or has an arrest pending during the application process, then Glen Oaks Community College housing may consider such charges in accordance with the standards and guidelines set forth above.

When you submit a housing application, you are letting Student Housing know you are interested in living on campus at Glen Oaks Community College. There is no official or binding agreement between you and GOCC with just your application. Fees associated with your application are non-refundable and non-transferable. When you sign a Glen Oaks Community College Housing Agreement, you are signing a legally-binding contract to reside on campus for the full term of the Agreement, clearly listed on the Agreement. If, during your occupancy, you cannot meet the requirements of the Glen Oaks Community College Housing Contract you signed, you must submit a Petition for License Agreement Cancellation form to the Housing Office immediately. Review the Glen Oaks Community College Housing Contract very carefully with anyone you need to consult about your decision, such as your parent or guardian.