Glen Oaks Community College


If you’ve filled out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you’ve automatically applied for the major federal grant programs.

To receive a grant, you must have financial need as defined by the federal government. You also must meet the eligibility requirements for financial aid.

Cheerful happy young african american male student worker entrepreneur holding document bill read great news in letter receive loan approval scholarship salary payment concept sit at home office desk

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grant is the foundation of federal student financial aid. Your eligibility is determined by the data from your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How much money you receive in a Pell Grant is based on three factors:

  • Your Student Aid Index, as determined from your FAFSA
  • Whether you attend school full time or part time
  • Whether you attend school for a full academic year or less

If you are eligible for a Pell Grant, the Financial Aid Office will notify you via email to your Glen Oaks Viking email. Your myGOCC student portal will show your awards based on full-time enrollment status.

Effective on July 1, 2012, you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent of 6 years full-time enrollment.

Other things you should know about federal Pell Grants:

  • Any other financial aid you might receive does not affect the amount of your Pell Grant.
  • Pell Grant funding is pro-rated based on your enrollment level.
  • Pell Grants are not available to students who have already received a bachelor’s degree.

Other Available Grant Opportunities

Federal Carl Perkins Grant
Unlike the other grants described here, the Carl Perkins Grant requires an application. It helps pay for tuition, textbooks, and child care costs for students who have financial need, are in eligible occupational majors, and fit into one of six categories. The Carl Perkins Grant helps pay for tuition, textbooks, and child care costs for students who have financial need and are in eligible occupational majors. Income guidelines may apply. See the Occupational Student Success Program page for more information and to apply. You must schedule an appointment with the Occupational Student Success Counselor. To make an appointment, call 269-294-4241 or stop by the Student Services Office.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
Pell Grant recipients with exceptional financial need may qualify for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). Funding for the grant is limited, and priority is given to students with the lowest Student Aid Index (SAI). A typical grant is $500 for the academic year.
Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
The Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver is a program enacted by Public Act 174 of 1976, which waives the tuition costs for eligible Native Americans in public community colleges or universities within Michigan. To be considered eligible, Native American applicants must be a Michigan resident and have resided in Michigan for twelve consecutive months at the time of application; must attend a public institution in Michigan; and must be one-quarter (1/4) Native American blood quantum AND an enrolled member of a U.S. federally-recognized tribe. For additional information reference the MITW website.
Tuition Incentive Plan (TIP)
The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) is a program funded by the State of Michigan that encourages eligible students to complete high school by providing tuition assistance for the first two years of college and beyond. For more information, please check the State of Michigan website.